running gear

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thereheis

running gear

Post by thereheis »

i have been told that if you put 4 or 5 coatas of paste wax on the running gear struts shafts rudders that it will keep barnacles from growing .any truth to it ?i know that the white wash won't last long ,any one knopw of a good under coat for the running geart that last any time???want to keep those over size rudders clean as possible,,darn there shinny....

phil
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you can find cans of clear anti fouling spray paint, it works real good. It was taken off the market because of new environmental laws but stores that had them were allowed to sell their stocks. Uncle Vic is selling a spray called Max Wax made by the CX people that is supposed to be working. A marina in Montauk has been brushing STP directly on shafts and props for that same purpose. Walter
JP Miller

Running Gear

Post by JP Miller »

I have seen a product called "Prop Speed". Not sure who makes it, maybe Sea Hawk. It is for underwater metals, has a primer coat and two part top coat. Dries mostly clear, with a slight yellow tint. It is supposed to be so slick that growth cannot adhere. If applied properly, with the correct drying time between coats, it works quite well. In Florida (warm water...lots of growth) you still need to dive the boat for a wipe down or run it at speed to knock growth off.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Barnacles

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Phil. I have tried just about everything, and the outboard antifouling Walter advised works as good so far as any I have found. Last time I pulled, though, if looked like something off a shipwreck. I am going to give the max wax Vic sent me a try next time - which may come pretty soon if I don't get to run it. I haven't tried STP, but have been told you can watch it leech off. Normal paint is useless, and the epoxy treatments that are supposed to bond the bottom paint to the metal don't do much, either. I use cayenne pepper in my bottom paint, and have sprinkled it on the props between coats of the clear outboard spray with good results if you don't let it sit too long. Slime is the big problem for me right now.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I knew a guy who made his own bottom paint by dissolving a package of rat poison in each gallon of paint. Obviously not DEC approved, but it was cheap and worked. Nothing grew on it and lived. Walter