The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

aeymardz71

Pics

Post by aeymardz71 »

Heres the newest member of my family! Just a lot of work!!! Image
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Your in good company......keep us posted on your progress.

Your gonna have a jewel when she splashes.

Harry
hb
scot

Post by scot »

Nice, someone saved you a bunch of the work on that 25, the outdrive holes are already filled in. Now all you have to do is build a boat out of that shell!

Good luck, what are your plans?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
aeymardz71

Post by aeymardz71 »

scot, they did a great job on the out drive holes! planning on outboards on a bracket, keeping the v-berth with a express style cockpit. still havent figured out how will be the best way to beef up the transom for the outboards. still have a lot of cleaning, grinding and sanding to go before i can start building, just need some time off so i can get it done. thanks for the support.

Andy
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Andy,

Check out Seacast.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mLtcszWP2VU&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mLtcszWP2VU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's a few more youtube video clips of the process

Major

Post by Major »

Do you have the deck and liner as well? If so and you did the work, how bad was it to remove and did you learn any lessons to pass on? I have a 28 that needs allot of work and thought about removing the deck and flipping the hull to make it easier to work on the bottom.

Please do keep us updated on your progress and include some pictures. Looks like your well on your way to a better boat.

Major
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Why not a single Cummins??
Blueprint is on boatdiesel
Wayne
aeymardz71

Post by aeymardz71 »

Major,
the guy who had the boat before already started cutting the liner out piece by little piece!!! so i am just finishing it off, i dont know what kind of epoxy they used for the liner but its very tough!!! i couldnt see how you would be able to take out the whole thing in one piece! no cap either. A lot of work ahead of me!! I also plan on flipping her to do the bottom once the deck and cap is finished.

Wayne,
still not 100% on the outboards, been thinking about (2) 4bta's, but probably lose too much room in the boat, not to thrilled about single engine, im all about redundancy!! working in the oilfield, ive seen it too many times, boats coming to the dock broken, on one engine. but if something comes up, i might not be able to pass up a good deal on a single diesel. Plan on starting in the v-berth and working my way back, that should give me enough time to weigh my options.
randall

Post by randall »

go inboard....
Major

Post by Major »

If you want any measurments and cant find the manuals for the 4bt's I have 2 that i could take some measurments on for you. Right now they are out of the boat unitil further notice. We bought them used, never ran them and took them back out to do other work so they are sitting on pallets under a tarp.

With the 25 bertram it may not be as much as an issue but mine are the 150 hp versions and i just dont think they have power i would like in my 28. Power adders arnt looking very hopeful from what ive seen either. There is a 250 hp version but from what ive read it may have some issues. With that said the 150 hp 4bt is sopposed to be a very reliable engine.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

major the 150hp model has run from thirty to forty thousand hours on a regular basis. this is the engine used for "bread & potatoes" one million made for here and abroad generator. cummins/ onan generator is the common denomanator around the world.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

I wonder if the paragon "V" drives would hold up,with the Cummins4b??
Wayne
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

4bt's will fit nicely. I am in the process of getting my boat in the water for 2001 and replaced my 350's with 4BT's.

I have a B28 and there is all kinds of room to spare with these engines. The only issue I had was the height, I had to raise my hatch covers, other than that they are narrow.

I think they would fit well for you and have plenty of power in that smaller vessel.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

This youtube video may be of interest to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHJfGKiv ... PL&index=9[/img]

I don't know if I've posted it correctly, but here goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHJfGKiv ... PL&index=9

Apparantly I don't know what I'm doing, but it is a link to a youtube video review of a 25' with two yanmars, the fit and look pretty nice.
randall

Post by randall »

you can drop those puppies in my boat anytime.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EHJfGKivRVs&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EHJfGKivRVs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
coolair

Post by coolair »

randall

Post by randall »

ive seen that one before. dosent do it for me but i like the high scuppers.
aeymardz71

Post by aeymardz71 »

anyone have pics of a v-drive 25? curious to see the layout.

Andy
randall

Post by randall »

cant really see the V dries but the engines are shoe horned in there pretty good. straight 4 or 6 diesels would leave a bit more space.

aeymardz71

Post by aeymardz71 »

Randall,
thanks for the pics, the inline engine should be skinnier then your gassers, just wondering if the paragons would hold up to the torque of the diesels. looked at the zf v-drives, nice!! but dont want to know the price! do you think it could work with straight drives?

andy
randall

Post by randall »

staight drives could work if you just starting with a bare hull. a mini 31 but no cabin...thats where the engines wind up......or jack shafts and outdrives.