what is the PVC foam insulator for...engine install

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Joef

what is the PVC foam insulator for...engine install

Post by Joef »

hey - as noted in a previous thread, i'm battling a minor, but very persistent and difficult to find vibration somewhere in my STBD drive train. Was reading the building tip in the engine install on Buddy Boy - and noted the Capt Pat uses a 2MM PVC insulator between the aluminum stringer cap and the ramp that bolts to it. I have 4 steel caps over the stingers in my North Coast - each piece of "cap" is about 16 inches long. The motor mounts are bolted directly to those steel caps (no ramp is seen in the Buddy Boy install).

Anyway - i'm not going so crazy that i'm ready to redo the entire engine beds in my boat (not yet anyway) - but was reading through that thread and wondered what the PVC is for

Joe
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Buddy Boys ramps

It serves two purposes.

It prevents the finish from being marred on the cap when adjusting the ramps and acts as a barrier to prevent the aluminum on aluminum from vibrating the finish off and allowing the aluminum to start corroding.

Its too thin to eliminate anytype of vibration transmission to the hull from the engine. Thats what the rubber isolators are for.

In a properly installed engine and drive line, no part of the engine touches the hull without a rubber insulator, 4 mounts and a cutlass bearing.