Need for Raiser elbow on Yanmar 315

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Henrik

Need for Raiser elbow on Yanmar 315

Post by Henrik »

Hello,

After some time I'll finally get new engines and decided to go for Yanmar 315:s in my B31. I would just like to check if I need raiser elbows or if the standard elbow will do?

Thanks, Henrik
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Henrik,

The stock risers are fine, no need for custom risers.

Br,

Patrick

Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Without knowing how you did the beds, I can't say for sure but Pats right that 98% of the time the standard down turned elbow is fine in the 31.

A good check is the bottom of the turbo outlet should be a minimum of 30.4 centimeters above the water line. Thats 12" for the metric challenged.

Even if you have surge tubes, mufflers or what have you.

Pats pic is of the old 6LY 315, not the 6LP 315. Turbo outlet height is different between the two.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Here's the 6LP as was installed on Tommy Drake's "Island Girl"....

Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Henrik
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Great engines. You won't regret it.
By the way, I think these engines were underestimated by a lot of folks.
There are more of them showing up on sites like Boat Diesel. com with a lot of hours. There was one guy who had 7700 hours on them with no rebuild. It was used commericially, which is a no no.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Why would that be a no-no for a diesel engine? 7700 hours is not excessive either.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I set next to a Yanmar rep on an airline flight a while back. He was talking about a Yanmar in a Parasailing operation that had an ungodly number of hours on it and was still running fine.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Walter,
I think Ed is talking about the commercial application.

All engine makers have no or very limited warrantee on commercial installs.

But some of longest running hours I've seen have been in commercial applications.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

walter it would be outright impossible to go 7700 hours on a 6lp. you have to remove the rubber band up front more then 4 times.and if you let it go , they break and the engine automaticly goes into self destruct mode.i have one on the floor in the shop and one on the shelf in storage.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If you have 7700 hours on a 6LP you should have replaced the timing belt 7 times, every 1100 hours.

I've got 3 6lp's with over 10k hours and at the last dealer meeting, there was one dealer who had over 20k in a commercial application.

Like anything, proper setup, care and the way its run is important.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce your one of the good honest marine mechanic .this is a very big yard and you tell some they are due for the timing belt change and they let it go.sometimes they win and for two last season sometimes they lose.the proplem is when is goes it goes big time."i told you so "only gets them pissed off at the yard.you are right at 1100 hours i was given ed the absolute maximum.this further illustrates what i was saying about maintenace between engines. the first minute you start a 6lp up the belt starts wearing as opposed to a caterpillar gear drive and non existense maintenance of that gear system. how about those that pretend to not know looking for a warantee issue "my engine is sluggest " did you change the timing belt "---"whats that !!! ". our labor is a $150.00 a hour plus 10% and 40% on parts this is a expensive procedure that must be included in your choice of repowered. incidently the steyr diesel (if your looking for lightweight is a much better built engine) at least the 2.0 data bus with let you know before there is a problem
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bruce
whats the recommended timming belt change out on the 230 4lha ste, iam not sure iam going to like this answer
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

No overhead cam in the 4LH. Everything else is gear driven. Not a maintenance item.

Eddy G.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

that makes me feel better have 2100 hrs on them, the only problem ive had was the exhust elbow came apart after the turbo, found it when i leaned on it changing out the air filters after the oil change.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

charlie as i mention in another post i can get you a replacement exhaust elbow in 316ss . did you buy another alluminum oem yet?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yes bob this happened over the summer, if the next one goes ill call you , didnt see your prior post.
thanks
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

our labor is a $150.00 a hour plus 10% and 40% on parts this is a expensive procedure that must be included in your choice of repowered
I hope theres foreplay with those prices.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce possibly a little visual if the lamebrain former topless dancer secretary wears her usual low cut blouse but thats not usually the topic with a whopping repair bill in your hand.thats why i am totaly confused for the last 10 years when somebody says service should determine what engine you choose on a yanmar/cummins/caterpillar in a 31 bertram.with a IQ. of 90 you could unscrew a oil filter/ fuel filter once a year on cummins/caterpillar/volvo .dump it in a plastic bag and refill filters and install. anything else would be warantee work in those first 1000 hours (quite a long time for the average boater)no high priced marine mechanic for valve timing/timing belt replacment/exhaust elbows/fan belts .thank god for yanmar it keeps kenny and willy the two diesel mechanics going the winter months.i can`t believe sombody cannot see the forest from the trees--------amen
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

thank god for yanmar it keeps kenny and willy the two diesel mechanics going the winter months
Other than the yearly service and maintenance intervals on my Yanmar customers, I don't hear from them otherwise.

I'd starve if I depended on Yanmar service only.

Whats with the excessive service required in your parts?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce the parts as billed by the secretary is 10% handling and 40% markup . don`t you get something for the time on the phone for ordering,the money for stocking and the mail/ups charges?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473