Bob Lico...Where you twitching this weekend??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Bob Lico...Where you twitching this weekend??

Post by Carl »

Went to dinner Saturday night with some dock friends and aquantances.

One guy is buying a used 36 Mainship, bad enough, but here is where I thought you'd start twicthing. The boat has Three Sets of Trim Tabs, he thought that was a selling point...that and A/C and Heat in the cockpit.

All I wanted to know is if he bought it and if he took it for a sea trial. He said "No not yet, should I?'

Anyway, just thought I'd share the reason you may have been twitching.

Carl
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Sounds like a guy that should never be allowed to purchase a gun. He seems to have the potential to hurt himself...and others.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

he needs 3 sets of trim tabs . make sure he puts all 3 down on port side when going out the inlet! seperate the men from the boys and test the life raft.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Center tabs are manualy adjusted, I'll tell him to put the other two down.

No inlet here, he's got that going for him...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sim about my adventures from another post some days you win some days you lose. first week of the month went to maine to hunt near my house . put a arrow in a 350 lbs plus bear and walk thru the wilderness for 7 miles my knee (from last months surgery) was killing me and i couldn`t find the blood trail . made night stand and started at first light bear was smarter then me and cross river ----all in vane. todays adventure was sucessful . went to inlet and waves were tremedous plus inlet had real low area (3') from northeastener only boat out there was 31 bertram . well low and behold a thousand bird swarming on migrating stripe bass eating sand eels . match the hatch with jig and white tubing ----------bingo 9 - 40" stripers . threw back all but three and huge bluefish were all over .at least 10.arm falling off we came in .adventure can be good or bad but when they concern the 31 bertram they normally light your fire.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Congratulations Bob! You were due for some big Bass! Walter
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nice Striper Bob!!!

I gave up and yanked the boat early...fish still are not here yet, at least not in numbers. I missed the early run and the late run, such is life.

Nice, very nice, I like the summer fishing, but there is something about being out there at the end of the year.

Good for you, thanks for sharing.

Carl
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have never experiance the fall run of bass. these fish were all ocean fish with the telltale sign of bright black stripes and that pale purple glow around the face .very heathy fish!! millions of sand eels have hatch 3 miles east of fire island inlet, even the worst bass fisherman like me could have a great day.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Guess thats why they haven't come down here yet...there no gett'in me out off a quality Buffet either.

The last run we had like that was 16 years ago...I was getting married, just bought a house and was in the midst of a renovation that was running behind. No way I could leave to fish, mostly becuase my "bud" was helping me and he didn't want to fish, if he did we would have moved into a slightly less then ready house after the honymoon.
Each day at work I'd get a slew of calls about who caught what, how they could do no wrong, each fish bigger then the next. Guys only came in because they arms hurt or had to go to work.

I do love the fall run, even when it's not a Bonaza...

Glad to hear someone is Doing It !
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl this is a interesting year because i could never recall seeing what happen in the canyon this year. there are many opinions but for what ever reason huge school of big sqiud stayed in a tight formation about 4 miles into the deep of the hudson canyon(100 square area). big eye tuna from 150 lbs to 225lbs were eating away at the squid at will . all you had to do is circle with squid spreader bars or jig at night. unbelievable they rip your arms out of socket . on standup 50 you had some fight on your hands. but the yellowfin in the hudson were small like 25lbs hardly worth the 72 mile trip. crazy things happening offshore you never know one year to another.belive it we had better tuna west than the guys in montauk for a few years now. carl your invited next year!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote: carl your invited next year!
Thanks, I may take you up on that.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Bob did you see all that hot water out at the edge? I might make a trip this weekend.SAT
WINDS DIMINISHING TO VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS. SEAS
BECOMING 3 TO 4 FT.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Bob,

Beautiful striper. I caught 6 hybrid stripers here in Lake Pontchartrain last week. Unusual, because I've been fishing the lake for years and never caught one before last week. We also get stripers down near Port Eads, but they don't get as big as the east coast stripers.

I really like the look of your half tower. How does it work out not having a hard top? I am looking for a new half tower for my boat. Do you have a radar on your boat? I was wondering if it was possible to have a set up like yours with a radar and what a tower like that would cost.

Thanks,

JR
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bob-

Nice fish. We're supposed to be having a great fall run here on the Bay, and I haven't gotten out...work, kids, etc. Congrats.

John F.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jack the bottom of the 4kw open array radar is just visiable at top of photo. 4" tilted bracket hold radar to arch. i custom made "cautus " on top of pipe to conform to throw of radar and hold both led anchor light and gps.soft top is made of stamoid with gortex thread.remove quick connects from pipe and top folds back to radar arch.no obtructions (support pipes) in front of ez2cy glass front and sides. totally weather proof in winter with a 11/2" neopreme strip around bottom border of stamoid to prevent water climbing up windshied and going between canvas and fiberglass at high speeds or big waves.here is another view of top:
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

brewster are you talking 72 degree water at lat 3947.69 and long 7142.51 ? about 10 degrees differance in that eddy to 62 water adjacent.could hold big blue fin/ swordfish but i believe my bro veto when he says big eyes are gone they done ate thru the giant squid . lucky i bag two before they fled.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Bob,

Great looking top. Did you design it yourself and have someone else fabricate it? I was thinking something like that might be a bit less expensive because there is less aluminum involved. Seems very functional too.

JR
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jack lets seperate the canvas work from the aluminum radar arch. i design the stamoid as you can see from photo one stamoid covers radar arch looking out from the inside and many options like zipper out front window and drive , remove side panels , or remove all and fold back to arch during summer outings with family. the fall comes and all panels go in and heat will come from under dashboard . winter 10 degree days over wrecks for cod i put back panel on and use heat from cabin.radar arch i desigh and purchase pipe from wade metals then bent it . after futile attemp tig welding the start of weld would show so i gave into pen-weld to put together . complete radar arch and seat extension with rod holders about $ 1800. stamoid and eztcy glass panels about $1700. stamoid top is 10 years old and looks perfect. i have never clean the radar arch yet with any thing other then a little corrosion x on a rag.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

incidently the reason for the soft top instead of hard top is this; from the keel line to the top is about 14' . you remember sitting in physics class and all that talk of levers ? one pound added to top increses the center of gravity 14 pounds . actually 3 men standing on the bridge will dramaticlly increse roll, let along adding top weight. all the heavy weight is place along the keel line (battery bank,water,fuel).the top has seen 39mph and lock to lock g-force turns without so much as a vibration. there is a third stifferner holding radar arch if you look at photo on each side.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Nice fish Bob. They're on the move down my way nice to see we've still got some decent ones on the way down. I have one question.

How is that VHF antenna mounted?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp that a great way to fish for striped bass with a a-47 jig and white tube to" match the hatch". cast out let it sink about 100 yards in back of birds and one jig and your on!!
vhf is 19' for max range . 316 ss double knukle at bottom of bridge (so it can fold back ) to clear bridge over canal out east , 5' up in "U" mount . mount is bolted to radar arch and has thumb screw to untighten as you stand on gunnel and fold back along with rupp outriggers.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473