Upside down turbo

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Upside down turbo

Post by Harry Babb »

Recently I have been asked to publish pictures of my approach to handling the exhaust installation on the port engine.

Attached here are a few pictures. I will be happy to answer any questions that may come up and I also will look forward to any suggestions or feed back that you guys may have.

The exhaust pipe is out for insulation and not featured in these pics. I will post pics of the pipe when I get it back next week.

I intend to put a vent line on the top of the turbo housing just to keep it from developing an air space then overheating.

Image[/img]

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

Harry[/img]
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Harry - pretty slick way you did that....the welded stainless air box is to reverse the direction of the air filter, right?

UV
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, Now I see what your up to...Why hasn't Cummins offered a kit for this? NICE job....I will stop by and see Denada before I head home. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
scot

Post by scot »

Slick Harry, real slick.

Knowing you Harry the red must be NDE dye penetrate, I fear you have become unstable...lol.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic
You are exactly right......the Air Sep will mount directly above the transmission and below the exhaust pipe. I call myself making the Air Box large enough not to restrict the flow of incoming air......I have already dry fitted everything and it will fit......I am a master of putting 5 pounds of crap in a 3 pound box.

Bob
I just got back in town from my Florida trip yesterday.....whatcha say we get together tomorrow afternoon at my shop.....then we can go to the Galley for a good ole social supper??? If you are accompanied by your wife.....Jo Ann will be happy to go with us.

Shop
B&S Machine Shop
8095 Falcon Blvd
Fairhope Al 36532

GPS will probably put you about 1/2 mile south of my shop drive

Harry
hb
Joef

saves space...

Post by Joef »

so - harry - without a picture of the "normal" turbo orientation, its hard to imagine, but in a normal install, the exhaust pipe will normally go behind the air filter...but in this setup, the air filter will be directly below the exhuast pipe...theoretically, you could install the engine furthur aft, as you should have more room between the engine and the aft bulkhead?

Very cool idea

Joe
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Joe
Here is a shot of the backside of a 6BTA.....standard turbo mounting....

hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Who dat beez bumping me?

I just finished repainting the engines for the last time Saturday......I'll put the pipe back on and get a pic without all of the primer...

H
hb