hull # on a 1970-B31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

hull # on a 1970-B31

Post by Bertramp »

I went to register my new 1970-B31 in FLA. The boat had previously been a NY boat. It came with a transferable registration, which is pretty standard for NY, but the numbers on the registration other than the NY registration numbers did not seem to me to be hull ID numbers. The boat is pre the starboard side transom, built into the hull numbers. What would be reasonable numbers for a 1970 boat ? Any idea where it might be on the boat ? The prior B31 that I had with the original fiberglass fuel tank had a number on the tank. This tank has been replaced.

The other numbers on the registration were:
DM847310
JMC RVH626

Not a fabricated ownership, I know the prior owner ... any ideas ?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Prior to Nov. 1972 there were no uniform numbers on boats. The B31 hull # will be glassed into the hull inside under the port v-berth or in the inside transom about on the centerline behind the fuel tank.

I beleive numbering started with 101 in 1961 and the hull # will have the length (31), model # (each of the 6 models had a number, 1, 2, 3, etc) and the hull number, so a number like 311016 would be what you are looking for.

Some of the other Faithful know the numbering system better than me, since I have never found a number on my 72 FBC, other than the fuel tank, and that tank number has no relation to the boat hull #.

UV
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

my 68 bahia mar #s are inside transom on center line
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

This is a Bahia Mar
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Might not be relevant in your case but in my 64 Sportsfisherman I have found three separate sequential numbers in different places on the boat. 31-382, 31-383 and 31-384. Each was found when I was taking something apart and the numbers were hand written on the fiberglass or plywood with something like a magic marker. One I found on the underside of the fiberglass cap when I was removing an overhead header in the bunk area, another under a v-berth, and another when I removed the dinette icebox door to install a fridge. As was explained to me, back in those early days, several of the same models would be made at a time and their similar component parts would be laid out for the Cuban help to assemble. It was not unusual for them to take a piece meant for another hull and use it, since they all looked the same to them. Take a flashlight and look in non-visible places, usually on the raw fiberglass undersides. Good luck! Walter
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

My 1973 had one more alpha-numeric hull ID than what the FL registration system allowed. They would not take the CT registration number as it didn't fit the FL computer system. What the FL system provides is the ability for you to to a "pencil trace". If you find the number, you get a special form from the FL registration site and do a pencil tracing of the hull number onto the form. You then have to sign and notarize the form saying that you indeed took these numbers from the boat and that becomes the number in the FL registration system. It's the back door paper method for having the FL computer system to regonize a non-standard hull ID number.

Hope this helps.
Paul J
1973 B28 - PALADIN
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I know my 75 has it on the hull but when I ripped out the back end of my 75, I also found the number glassed into the center line on the transom. Looks like that would be the first place I would look. I never really looked for it, but once I had the deck out, there she was.

Sounds like that would be the first place to look.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bertramp,
My survey records showed a 1970 FBC with a hull number of 901 paper tag at transom, another reportely 1970 SF I couldn't find any traces of a hull number, had a Florida issued reg # sticker on the outter transom, starting with FLZ, a 1971 FBC had 1056 as a glassed in paper tag at the inside.
UV is right about hull numbers starting with 101, my 1961 express is hull 186 (12-13-61 date of manufacture) glassed in under port V berth bunk. Bertram averaged around 100 31 hulls per year until the early 80's. Your hull should be in the 900's if it is a 1970 model year.

HIN numbers were not required by Federal Law until after Nov. 1,1972, then everything had to have the numbers embossed into the starboard transom area, a combo of at least 12 letters and numbers. I've seen up to 15 # and letters in some of the 31's I've surveyed. I'm up to 33 31's as of this suummer. Good luck with the pencil pushers at the tag office in Lauderdale.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Bertramp
The 69 i got out of hyannis port had it on the transom,I think it was 315-___
and the state of Massachusetts gave it a new number that was in line the the HIN standards,
That number is what is on the title, which the previous owner never put in the boat, you are suppose to make a plate and permanently install the new number in the boat. Check your title and registration, it will have the number, It was a pain in the butt cause i had to do the trace thing, if not in Texas you have to get a game warden to inspect your boat. IF you cant find the number on your title, then... the previous owner probably never put it in the boat.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

the answer has been found 3161003
I think the "6" says it's a Bahia and the "1003" is the actual hull number
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bertramp,

Just curious, did you find the numbers somewhere on the boat (and if so, where) or did you find them by running down the paper trail?

Allow me to quote former Bertram production engineer, Lee Dana, from an email he sent me back in 2004 (he was with Bertram in the 60's and 70's):

"The first production Bertram 31 hull was number 101, and the factory tried to maintain continuity with this aspect of the number. Throughout the production run, the factory used a few different numbering systems for the 31s. To better identify the various models, they added the following at some point: 312 Open model; 313 Hardtop; 314 Sportfish; 315 Fly Bridge Cruiser; 316 Bahia Mar; 317 Express. For example, I formerly owned a 1973 Bertram 31 Sportfisherman (the boat was laid up in late 1972, but was shipped from the factory in early 1973).

The hull number was: "BER 01257 1172-314".

Deciphered as follows: Bertram; 1157th hull built; fiberglass laid up November, 1972; 31 foot; Sportfish model.

Probably more information than you wanted, but I'm having a slow day.

Tommy
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

inside of the transom
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly