VisionX LED lights

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Joef

VisionX LED lights

Post by Joef »

Anyone install these on their boat/truck? I have 4 12V 55watt floodlights mounted on my tower AND a single 120VAC 500watt floodlight as well. I use the 500watt AC flood when night canyon fishing. Problem is the darn things keep burning out, corroding, the bulbs get super-hot and i started looking for a more "robust" design to replace it. There was a company that makes really nice lights with stainless steel housings and brass/stainless fitting, etc - really nice, looks "robust" enough - but the list price was 500 bucks.

Guy at work (I work at GE Trailer Fleet Services - so lots of truckers) said he put highend LED floods on his pickup truck and asid they were just awesome - but about the same price - 400-500.

Anyone use these LEDs? Their website is: http://www.visionxusa.com/led/

Joe
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Joe - I've been looking at LED floods and the price is still way too steep for me. They will come down and be the way to go in a few years for sure. I use a pair of Hella 120 volt 500 watt floods on the back of my tower and the trick is to very carefully treat every screw and fitting with Ultra Tef Gel when they are new - then they won't corrode and its a snap to change the bulbs. The steel (or in the case of Hella, stainless) screws and fittings in the aluminum housing is the killer....Tef Gel will stop that. I see the Hella for about 20 bucks at some of the discount places. I pick up the 500 watt bulbs for a buck at the dollar store.

On the LED front, I just picked up a pack of 10 LED flashlights, each with 6 LEDs and three AAA batteries installed, for 10 bucks at Home Depot....the little suckers will blind you, and for a buck a pop.....so they are coming down.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Another option is the HID conversion kits that you can got off of Ebay. I know of some farmers that have retrofitted them to their tractors and love them. They replace the regular auto style halogen bulbs that twist into the reflectors and have a remote mounted ballast. Pretty cheap at @$50 a pair. Stay below 600C temperature range and they aren't too blue in appearance. They operate at lower temperatures than the halogens. You can get conversion reflectors to replace auto style sealed beams so that you can use them.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31