non skid patter

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

non skid patter

Post by coolair »

Hey is there any other way to get a non skid patter on your deck other that the flex mold, or buying a premade one from glastek or bertram. I know they are made in a mold, and the bold has the pattern, but how do they make the pattern?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

but how do they make the pattern?
With the Flex Mold...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If you want to bypass the pattern idea, you can get a stipled effect for non skid by mixing Cabosil in the gel coat and rolling it. I think a medium knap roller works.

It will give you bumps. Mine has held up 13 years. I will probably redo this spring, not because it isn't working, I just need to pretty up the deck.

Just another thought.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Matt
I'm gonna use fine sand lightly scattered on the deck while the paint is still wet..then recoat with another coat of the urethane paint to seal in the sand.

I too wanted the "Hatched Pattern" deck like Wayne has on his 31 but I am not willing to put forth the effort.

While back I was aboard a new Viking 60 or so footer. The deck was the non skid....and quite frankly it looked pretty good.

Harry
hb
coolair

Post by coolair »

Harry,
which are you talking about the flex mold or the sand?
I am just trying to learn what i can i new it was a mold, i just didnt know how they get the patter in the mold, and ya Waynes boat is bad ass.

But I have read all the non skid info on here, and ya the sand through a flower sifter trick is what some industrial fab guys use on some offsore stuff.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I'm talking about using "Sand" on DeNada

H
hb
Joef

non-skid additive

Post by Joef »

whats the word on the compounds sold by the paint companies to mix into the paint? I think awlgrip makes a "mild" and 'heavy" non-skid powder that you allegedly mix into the paint...and allegedly the paint gets absorbed into these small particles and makes a really tough non-skid...don't really know though.

i have the diamond non-skid molded into my decks...and the grip is great but it is a nightmare to keep clean
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have the Awlgrip. I mixed the two grades so that I would get a good coverage pattern. My painter sprayed it on using a pressure pot with a huge tip. It is fabulous! He sprayed a regular coat and then overcoated with the nonskid and paint mix. I wouldn't have another nonskid finish. 7 years out and it still looks good. I do keep it in a boathouse though. It has been durable.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

I used the Awlgrip also, but I mixed double what was recommended in with tinted gel coat and then rolled it on my fordeck. It turned out great and is a long lasting installation. My cockpit deck, on the other hand, is the factory non skid. I have repaired it with the plastic pattern and screwed it up. I'll attempt to do it right sometime this winter.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
I also have the Awlgrip with the 2 non skid particles mixed. Come on down and take a look if you want. Renegade Mike and Kip have Kiwi Grip that is pretty cool. It's a one part paint that you roll on and then go over with a roller to give you the texture. It's thick and seems like a piece of cake to put on...about 100$ for a gallon.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

I have seen the Kiwi grip advertised was thinking of trying it in the cockpit.
John any info is appreciated I wonder how well it cleans up? Does it stain sounds like a good grip for the feet.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
coolair

Post by coolair »

JOhn you gonna be at the boat this weekend? I might ride down or pull the deck out of my boat, not sure yet
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Dan,
All you have to do is rough up and clean the area that you want to non skid, tape off the area and apply. The stuff worked great with top siders on, and was also easy on the bare feeties. Here's the number 206-579-4017...talk to Willy.
Matt,
Give me a call at 713-906-0842. If the water clears up a little, I'll be there. I've been killing the trout off my boat house every night untill the runoff from the last weeks rain made its way down the river. It was like chocolate milk when I left last Sumday.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich