Draining water out of 3208T Cat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

capt2kids

Draining water out of 3208T Cat

Post by capt2kids »

Hi: I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

I have a problem winterizing one of my engines. 3208T.
A little history first: I made the owner rebuild the injection pump before I bought it the end of august. The boat was in Florida. They had to take off the heat exchanger and I assumed they put anti-freeze in there after they fixed it. The owner had the work done, after it ran good I bought it.

But I got thinking about it, did they really do it? I called the mechanic and he said I think they did. That was a red light to me. I didnt think of it, because I didnt have the boat out one time since I bought it, so after going to have it hauled out, it came to mind.

After the boat was out, I drained the heat exchanger for a sample, and a weak mixture came out, good only to 20 degrees F. I guess in Florida they never thought I was taking it to NJ. I checked my manual and it said to drain the heat exchanger and the rear of the block, showing one arrow. The plug is on so tight, I am afraid of breaking it off.

If I do succeed after soaking it, do i have to take the plug on both sides of the block out? It has fresh water cooled manifolds too, so i guess draining the block wont drain them too? The engines are old and I'm afraid of breaking the plugs off. I can run it on land, but to open the thermostats would take forever I think. I hope theres an easier way, taking some hose off, and draining most out. I have only a few more weeks before freezing weather hits here.

Any suggestions, if I cant get the drain plugs out of the block? My first ride with the boat was wonderful. Better than the last time going to Atlantic City when I had the heart attack. I am better now and raring to go, but this is a real thorn in my side. Sorry for such a long story.

I know when its not your boat, the problems seems easy, but this has got me. I'm going down now and see what I can do.
Thanks.
bob
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

It would seem to me that if first filled your engine's fresh water side with proper strength anti freeze, then disconnected your salt water intake at the raw water pump, reconnected a similar diameter hose that went into a 5 gallon bucket filled with non-toxic anti freeze, running your engine till you saw anti freeze coming out of your exhausts would do it. I'm sure others will chime in. Walter
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Bob where are you located? I can help out if not to far. The plugs in the block. are steel so they should not break. If I remember correctly there are plugs on both sides. I have drained my blocks many times. It is no big deal. What I do is remove the plug from the round heat exchanger, the block plugs and the oil coolers. Start the engine and run a garden hose into the radiator. This gets the block flushed good. Shut her down and let the water drain. replace the plugs and full with at least 4 gallons of anti-freeze. Then add np more then 3 gallons of water or until the expansion tank is just starting to fill. The freshwater system holds about 10 gallons. I also use DI water and not just hose water. Run the engine and add either water or antifreeze. Remember you will not get all the flush water out. So go heaver with the antifreeze. Now the most important thing!!!!!!! Add Cat additive to the water system. I used to run just DI water in the summer with a quart of additive and then flush and recharge with prestone and another dose of Cat Additive.
Joef

drain plugs

Post by Joef »

I have the same engines. there is one drain plug on the back of each side of the block. There is also 2 plugs on the bottom of each exhuast manifold...one in the front and one in the back. There is a plug on the bottom of the heat exchanger and one on the oil cooler. The plugs are steel - so just use a good wrench or socket and a have at it. My engine install was so tight that i just let the old coolant drain into the bilge and put a cut-off 55 gallon drum under the drain at the transon (then pumped all that crap into the containers that had the new coolant in them for proper disposal). I used the CAT coolant (the purple stuff) which eliminates the need for additives and mixing water.

You shoudl knwo who rebuilt the pump - and they coudl tell you what they did...if its one of the big cat dealers like ransome or HO Penn they will have record of it - or one of the local jersey guys like Inlet Diesel, eckles, Canyon Club...pretty much any reputable guy will tell you the truth.

Don't worry too much - changing the coolant sounds like a big job, but you'll find its really no big deal...just a little messy if you're working ina tight space

Joe
capt2kids

Post by capt2kids »

Thanks everybody!!!
I went down to the boat and sprayed the plugs with with penetrating oil, and was able to remove them like you guys said.

I really appreciated all the help and advice, and Charlie, thanks for the offer to come help, I really appreciate it. I think I can handle it from here, thank goodness.

Just for the hell of it, I checked the other engine for anti-freeze, and when I sucked it out into the hydrometer, it had pure water in it also,no antifreeze, so I have to do both engines. Am I glad I checked or it would have been a mess in the spring.
I can't thank you guys enough,
bob