Quick hauling idea from cockpit

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jspiezio

Quick hauling idea from cockpit

Post by jspiezio »

A while back someone was asking about a quick hauling of anchor line from the cockpit when offshore. I was racing a sailboat with a friend and the thought of using a sail winch on the gunwale or int the cockpit came to mind.

Check out Harken winches, these winches take a tremendous amount of abuse when sailed and the hold up to it. They are self tailing and available as 1-2-3 speed hand crank or electric drive.

http://www.harken.com/winches/winchspecs.php

Just an idea.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i was the one who had concern.i use a retrival ball but under severe wind and waves the anchor line gets damn close to the rudders and props.this would be the worst time in the world to get prop tangle (30 knt. wind 7' waves) capt. walterk of bluebeard had mention he uses a 35' line on the retrival ball and i am not sure how he does this!!! i usually throw anchor off starboard side of cockpit them back off on a 30degree angle.the crewman goes forward and puts the line around the front chock then back to starboard mid. cleat.except for the wrap around the front chock nobody ever goes on the bow for any reason out at sea.i would absolutely never anchor if i had to go with a bow pulpit or bow windless. i am dead set against them and if you work in a boat yard you would too!!!some how i know someone has a better idea for retriving the anchor in rough seas . don`t need a windless on covering boards along side cockpit the retrival ball break that anchor loose real quick with 25' of chain and it instantly sets but as you know there could be 100' of line in the water even when mate is looping line in basket as fast as he can.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob, I don't know if I can explain this well on line but I'll try. First, before I even leave, I try to figure out how much line I think I will want out from my bow. Then I drop the anchor and chain from the basket in my cockpit on to my cockpit deck along with the length of line I want out. NOW we go up to the bow with the line from the basket (I'm still at the dock) and bring the length I want out on the OUTSIDE of the bow cleat and the remainder of the line on the inside...then to the starboard cleat...then to the basket with the rest of the line you have. NOW return the line lying on your cockpit deck back into the basket making sure the line goes back back end first. If you wish, now is the time (before you put the line back) to connect your ring and ball. Once you have all your line back in the basket, you are all set and no one has to go up to the bow any more. Just tighten up the line to the bow and flip it up on your gunnel for the ride out. Should you need to let out more line after the anchor is out, just release the line from the starboard mid cleat and feed the line out from the basket until you feel it's time to cleat it again. I personally try to keep the boat a bit sideways and moving slowly so as not to fall back on the line if the cockpit crew isn't fast enough on retrieval. The extra line I spoke about earlier clips on to the anchor line between the ball and the bow and the only purpose it serves is to quickly get the beginning of the anchor line into the cockpit as opposed to someone trying to grab the line with a gaff or boat hook when running up on it. Hope this helps a bit. Walter
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok walterk now i understand that 35' line is between bow chock and ball that takes the dangerous approach to the line away!! thats the part that concerm me approaching the ball with all that line in the water,with the 35' you just put the line to the boat keeping it far from the props. the rest is what i do but we do it out at sea i can`t take out anchor line from the basket because the crew is using the cockpit to rig.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473