Fun in Cabo San Lucas

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

DanielM

Fun in Cabo San Lucas

Post by DanielM »

Just wanted to update folks on the little bragging rights only tournament MarkS put together in Cabo San Lucus this weekend. As you can probably already guess the team from the Bertram31 board took first.

Team Cranston (toned down the name a little as John’s wife & my wife joined the team) fished on RenegadeMike’s B31. I can’t say enough about Mike and his crew. Top notch guys and a blast to fish with.

They tell me fishing was a little slow this weekend, we only landed 4 bill fish & they were landed today. However, on a weekend when most boats weren’t landing any, RenegadeMike came through for us. We got the 4 billfish, limits on dorado both days, & a wahoo.

The one thing my wife mentioned when we came down here was that she’d like to land a sailfish as she had never caught anything like that. Well yesterday we didn’t see a billfish & it was looking grim on getting her that sail. Today Cabo had some weather blow through & it wasn’t looking so good. We were about 20 miles out as one of the squall lines was blowing through, when the port captain closed the port to outgoing vessels (Bertram weather) About that time Laurie hooked up her first sail & then immediately after that there was a second hook up & Pam was landing a sail as well. There they were in the wind & rain, everybody getting soaked with a double hook up of sailfish for the women. Quite a blast.

As we were heading in during the last hour of the tournament when it didn’t look like a marlin was to be had, Mike & his crew ran us up on 4-6 feeding marlin. Another double hook up. John & I both landed good sized striped marlin (my first marlin).

John & Pam will probably post a little more when they get home, but I’ve got some thank you’s to send out.

MarkS thanks for the invite you posted here, and organizing the tourney. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my first trip to Cabo, & enjoyed meeting you, your wife, & friends from up in the great white north.

John & Pam – I told you when we headed over that I’m mostly a diver not a fisherman. You might have a hand in changing that.

RenegadeMike – Loved the trip. Post up your crews’ names if you get a chance. I was afraid I misspell your capitan’s name but they were top notch. If anyone’s thinking about fishing Cabo you have to give Mike a call.

Capt Pat. Thanks again for your site & the work you put in daily to keep it going. It’s a hell of a cool place.

As you can tell, I’ve had a good weekend, I’ve got a full belly of fresh dorado and I think I’ll sack out.

Later,

DanielM
Last edited by DanielM on Oct 12th, '09, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
scot

Post by scot »

Glad to hear you guys had a great time and it sounds like there was no shortage of fish.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Sounds like yall had it going on. Glad you all had a great trip. Mike's a real hoot ain't he.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
JohnCranston

Pam Here

Post by JohnCranston »

I flew in last night - had to go to work this morning. I will get pictures out there in the next couple of days.

The "Faithful" should be proud - "Renegade Mike" Bertram 31 held the course and we kicked some butt.

Mike is a real great guy and his crew was excellent. The bragging rights tournament was great for the Bertram 31 forum group; and our crew did win top money of $300.

This was a great trip - and having two double bill fish hook ups was great.

There were a total of nine teams and this was our first year. It was great meeting Mark and his wife. It is always nice when you can put a face with someone you communicate with.

This was a lot of fun and we are looking forward to next year and hope that others on the Bertram31 web site can attend.

We will keep you posted.

Pam
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I am having a real hard time with this! It was 88* last Friday I was up on Renegade Mikes flybridge watching a school of about 1000 porpoise over about 50 acres waiting for a thunderous slam from a tuna (which unfortuantely never happened) then fished the tourney the next two days, yesterday I was driving a 33 Bertram on the Pacific at lands end watching a bunch of Mexicans scrambling around the cockpit catching Dorado and watching the shotgun start of the Los Cabos Billfish tournament. Today I woke up to 28* and the wife handed me the ice scrapper for her windshield.

WTF just happened?

Twas a good time and the Cranstons and McKinney's are awesome people!
This thing for the last few years has been made up of some serious anglers and some shade tree but after the B31 crew came and kicked butt I have to admit I took some ribbing! I MC this event so with John's permission I quickly pointed out to the crowd of 50 or so that I detected some grumbling regarding bringing in a "Ringer" to win this thing. I said I would like to point out that you all just got your asses kicked by a blind guy!

Interestingly nobody said boo to me after that!!! LOL what a freeking hoot we had! Mike put those guys so far ahead that the second place boat was 201 points behind them, which is more points than I had for the whole tournament.

DQ your name came up and we had a grin at your expense, Mike is looking foward to your upcoming time. Next year we are going to do it the 1st & 2nd of November so maybe we can round up some more talent from this site. Cranston will tell you we're a lot of fun and we raised around $2200. for the local kids of Cabo to boot. Auctioned off some donated Resort stays, some lures and pictures, some liqour and even a song sang by crazy Mike (no relation to Renegade Mike) who thinks he's a country western singer, that would be Miguel Loco.

Patrick the rudders arrived pretty much without any issues. Customs guy says to me, "Amigo, whats in da box?" I said "Rudders", He looked at me goofy, I said "Esta for da freegin boata!" They started ripping the boxes open and they were so well packed he finally gave up and said, "You got some papers hermano?" I said "Si amigo, used rudders I fixed for a compadre." He looked the paperwork over and pushed it at my like get yer heavy shit off my table!!! I said "See ya" and off we went. Thanks again for the extra effort Patrick. By the way I already have you signed up for next year.

Will post up some pics after I can see the wood on my desk again!

Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Super deal, Mark... Glad ya'll had a good time and that the sneak by Customs went well!

Br,

Patrick
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Mark,
DQ your name came up and we had a grin at your expense
Oh hell Mark, did I leave some genario on the table. Glad yall had a great time.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Doug,
The bait balls haven't formed out on the gate as of yet however we did follow school after school of Mack splashing on the surface. (Big schools!)Some of the captains attribute the slow start to this due to Hurricane Jimena taking out 2 big purse seiners in Mag bay and the theory goes tons of bait north in the cooler water has made for no great rush to head south for the vast majority of the stripeys. One thing for sure is the water is beyond warm some as high as 88* and it gets warmer as you head out. We went out to the Golden gate on our prefishing venture with Mike. We took him right out of his game and made him set his sights for big tuna and anything with a pointy end which was a big mistake as some billfish were in tight as John Cranston and his crew discovered. With that said we did get to the gate and we had the whole mutha to ourselves. Last year we would have been one of a hundered at this time of year. Then we trolled to San Jamie and took a tour around the thousand fathom curve which did yeild one football and that massive porpoise school. If you have a rolling cooler and you want to bring back some Dorado, that will take the first 15 minutes of your day, I hope it picks up for you, best of luck.
M

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Mark,

Seems yall might have left Cabo just in time as Hurricane Rick seems to have its sights aim right at the Baja again. Hope Mike is ready again.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Mark,

You might mention to your TA board friends that it was a rookie, two women, & a blind guy that kicked their collective asses. A team full of ringers. Of course John & Pam can fish and it sure didn’t hurt to be fishing with Renegade Mike.

BTW, if any of you are thinking of heading to Cabo you should look hard at fishing with Mike. We really enjoyed going out with him & his crew.
http://www.renegademikesportfishing.com/

I hope they ride through Hurricane Rick ok.

DanielM
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Doug I watched the water run down Morales and Vicario streets like the freeking Rio Grande during TS Patricia. The mexican ladies were pulling garbage bags over their stilletto heels to walk across the street, absolutly amazing! The boat ramp on the marina walk had some high tec bridge built out of two busted up concrete blocks and a greasy 2 x 6 just to work a guy on his ability to balance after numerous days of heavy swilling.

Tuesday night the patio furniture was doing the cha cha out on the deck I can't imagine the trouble hurricane "DICK" will bring to the party.

Daniel what can I say, for a no talent bunch of hacks you did good! Freeking Cranston is a true piece of work, I had a blast with you guys!

Mark

MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Here is the first place team from the Black & Green Tournament
From left to right Daniel McKinney his wife Laurie, John Cranston
Missing Johns wife Pam
Note the high quality first place plaques we made, no expense was spared.

jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Congratulations John and Pam as well as the whole crew! Couldn't have gone to a nicer crew.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Congrats to that First Place there. Damn Mark did John & Pam cut you any slack? Next time you gonna have to have John & Pam give up some points next time fishing with Mike.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

John and Pam,
Have read many of your posts and never realised.

Respect .

Ian.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Doug this has been hard enough to take don't encourage the miserable pricks!

LOL

M

Also here are a few shots of Mikes crew and boat as well as the Renegade himself in the middle on the bottom pic.

JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Mark,
Maybe tournament fishing is not your bag...You might need to stick to casting for walleyes, or, better yet, a little perch jerking. Naw, you guys were great. It was a blast hanging out with everyone and all of us are really excited about coming back next year. Thanks for everything, Mark. Thanks to everyone else for the continued support.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

John it would seem that I am better suited for Walleyes or Perch looking at my dismal effort at the tourney!

On the other hand maybe a trip to the proctologist for you should be in order to have that golden horse shoe removed! (Lucky Bast$&#)

Maybe we need to get you up here in early February and get you out on the ice for some top quality ice fishing! (or as I like to refer to it laying on your back with your shotgun looking up your chimney and duck hunting)

I have some cold weather gear in your size (Extra Lucky) just waiting for you!

M

JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Mark,
If you're gonna let me borrow a pair of your insulated pants, we'll probably need to get them altered...take em up in the rear, and let em out in the front...
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Si amigo grande John Holms! No se olvíde el sombrero muy grande.

Buenos dias Longfellow.

JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Mark,
You're a funny man. I knew that I liked you for some reason...