Cockpit Controls?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

badfish34

Cockpit Controls?

Post by badfish34 »

Does anyone have a 31 with cockpit controls? If so, where did you put them?

I have a 30' Chris craft Tournament SF, which has a similar cockpit layout with engine boxes, and I can not find a good place to put controls.
JK

Post by JK »

Should be a pic somewhere on www.seanile31.com that shows where I put them. I have them outboard of the starboard engine box.

http://www.seanile31.com/Site/SeaNile_During.html#36

--JK
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have seen a teak column on the port mid-stern with morse controls on the top, and a vertically side-mounted steering wheel parallel with the hull side. The position allowed the captain to run/maneuver the boat while turning the fighting chair when fighting a big fish as the owner often went offshore with only his captain. Walter
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

On the blackfin we have them transom mounted inside a unit similar to a live well box like Capt Pat installs. The controls are mounted side ways to minimize the intrusion into the cockpit, it is almost none. Will try to get pics before shrinkwrap.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I've seen single lever Morse controls outboard of the starboard engine box with a vertical wheel mounted beneath the gunnel. I would do an electric helm through a dodger to the autopilot and a dual function Morse control if I were going to do one.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

I have a Chris too... although an express. I am going to make a rocket launcher (similar to Release Marine or Murray brothers with a rigging table) for the cockpit and mount control under the rigging table part next to where the drawer goes. A pair of morse mt-3. I will run the cable down the ped. and up under the floor to the motors.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i don`t know if it helps anybody but i took a differant approach . i have a multi plug- push in connector that could mount anywhere (that is if you could hide a 8 conductor cable) and by the push of a button the boat goes port another button starboard (no reverse) and anything else from fighting chair.works on .0183 command.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
auguste

typo

Post by auguste »

JK wrote:Should be a pic somewhere on www.seanile31.com that shows where I put them. I have them outboard of the starboard engine box.

http://www.seanile31.com/Site/SeaNile_During.html#36

--JK
So I finally see Seanile (THT) in person (your pic)

Mighty nice looking boat

1963 38111 (38ft hull #11 of 13)
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

I use these often they are morse elec. single lever...
found this pod cover & cut the bottom out of it.. & hinged it.
couple more pics..
Real glad I did this.. for all slow ops,Catching bait , manuvering around kelps&or docks.getting on the mooring solo. saves my knees bigtime from climbing up & down the flybridge
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

While expensive you could go another route.

A customer was buying a boat (Azimuth) from Bon Jovi drummer Tico Torres. Both live in Admirals cove in Jupiter. He asked if I would go on a sea trial to check out the boat.

I called Tico and set up a time. Walked down to his dock and it was just us. I asked if I could help with the lines and stuff and he said he had it covered.

Hanging around his neck was a small wireless control for the boat. He told me his wife and I think it was his mother in law didn't do lines so he had to come up with a solution to be able to dock the boat himself.

It worked flawless and the controller was the size of a cell phone.

Nice funny guy.
Last edited by Bruce on Oct 22nd, '09, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

I have always loved the box Joe put on his boat. One day.
I like the pod cover simple.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Here's one with a small console in the cockpit:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... id=1801354

JR
badfish34

Post by badfish34 »

Thanks for all the great ideas, looks like the best place for them on my boat will be outboard of the engine box. I am not planning on adding a steering wheel in the cockpit.

One more question, on the bridge, I have Moorse single action controls (One shift lever, and One throttle lever per engine). I think they are Moorse model SR twin. Can I have single action controls in the bridge and dual action controls in the cockpit (one lever per engine)? Are they compatible with each other?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Can I have single action controls in the bridge and dual action controls in the cockpit (one lever per engine)? Are they compatible with each other?
Perplexing question, but I'm pretty sure that they'll work together OK. The difinitive answer would have to come from Morse.

Could be a slight conflict in the throttle side, where one set of controls would limit the other set. Might take some fine tunning...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Answer to that...yes and no. Morse made these years ago, I bought the last three full units they had and had to make up the balance of the parts for the fourth unit, or at least that was the story I got. Maybe Teleflex decided to go back into production when they picked up the line.

Overall they work well...however you most have both engines in neutral before using the other station otherwise they jam...think that may have been another reason they dropped the product...liablility issues. The other issue is you lose a little bit of throw at one station. my lower helm I can't get full RPM, off by about 400 revs...but I opt to go WOT from the tower anyway...visibility issues.

I have two sets of Single Action Dual Function Controls, but the system lends itself to Dual Controls too...may need to adjust the friction
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

While it will work with the adaptor, I dont recomend it.

I've done it, I've seen it and to me it is not a proper way to go.

Your using something like 12 cables if I remember correctly. All have to be the supreme style cable otherwise the drag is intense.

I've seen the disconnect screwup and I won't work on them anymore because of liability.

If you decide to run the single action controls for throttle and shift, run the bridge cables to the lower station and then the lower station to the engines and use supreme or better style cables for drag reduction.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce has a good point there (LIABILITY) i cannot see a damn thing in front of the boat while i play with this auto control.i am using the brain of the auto pilot to actually control the rudder which in turn steers the boat.best to have someone up on the bridge watching where the hall the boat is going.i use in the canyon to be a extra hand in the cockpit with no boat traffic before i jump down but never say never!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
badfish34

Post by badfish34 »

If I understand the posts above, it sounds like it may be difficult to do what I want. Especially if the adapter kit is discontinued. I am thinking I may have to replace the controls on the bridge if I really want a second station. The bridge controls are old and tired anyway, they are original to the boat (1977).

If I decide to do this, any recommendations on the controls I should get? Should I stick with Morse, or is these something else I should look at?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Adaptor kit is still available according to my catalog.

Morse controls are fine. You already have the twin lever/single engine controls on the bridge which is what you want to companion a second station without having to use the adaptor disconnects.

If they are a little sloppy, replace the bushings and save yourself some money unless you just want new controls.

If you go with electronic controls, you can have as many stations as the box supports and use single lever controls like above. Running wires is easier than running cables.

The only cables would be from the servo box in the engine box to the engine and gear or depending on the gear replace the mechanical spool valve with the electric one.

All it takes is extra money.

I've done over 10 repowers on 31'a alone with electronic controls with no issues.

BTW don't confuse electronic or mechanical/electrical controls with the computer or fly by wire controls. The later are only usable on totaly computer controlled engines and much more likely to get fried in a lightning strike.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Here is the transom control box I was describing.