Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:50:00 UTC

Winds: NE (50°) at 31.1 kt gusting to 36.9 kt
Significant Wave Height: 11.8 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 7 sec
Atmospheric Pressure: 29.75 in and falling
Air Temperature: 53.6 F
Dew Point: 49.6 F
Water Temperature: 63.3 F

Guess I'll be spending the weekend in front of a fire place.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Well it looks like our weekend will indeed be nice. After a month of 100+ the front Fri night is gonna drop it down to 80 to 84. That is if it makes it down this far.

Might be able to finish the garage without blurred vision from the heat.

A bone chillin 62 at night. Time to check the furnace and gather firewood.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hey, its been brutally hot in Coonassland for a damn long time but a cold front is due thru here about 3 am in the morning and they are hollering for a high of about 70 and a low in the 40s...and no rain for a week...been so hot & wet the damn skeeters done sucked us dry.

Got tons of good split firewood at the camp and some 12 year old red whiskey.....bring 'er on.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Well its like this in Alabama....right now....at this very minute we/I should be pulling out of Orange Beach marina aboard the Sea Spray headed out in search of Yellow Fin Tuna. Was to be a 20 hour trip.

Instead I am sitting here talking to my Bertram Buds cause the wind has the Gulf kicked up.

Tonight the front is starting to make its way thru our neighborhood and the winds are forcast to be 20/25 knots out of the south/southwest churning up 4 to 6 foot seas. So as you can see we would get kicked around headed out. Then the winds are forcast to switch around and come out of the north on Friday, at 25 knots or so kicking the seas up to 6 to 9 footers so we would get kicked around coming back in on Friday.

Like Bruce stated.....gonna be nice to work this weekend without blurrrrrred vision.......I will be working on DeNada

My Soundown came in today.......will start making patterns and installing Soundown tomorrow or Saturday.

May reschedule the Tuna trip for the 30th/31st

Harry
hb
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip Harry.

We've got a Northeaster here through what looks like Saturday with a hard North blow for Sunday.

Weathers been so bad here recently that I started to suffer withdrawl, had to take extreme mearsures. I took advantage of a 4 hour window we had this morning before the blow started.

Kept my son out of school and grabbed a friend. Blasted out of the inlet blowing NE at 15. Jumped on a local wreck and picked 50 keeper bottomfish in a few hours. By now its blowin E at 20. Get the hook up and start coming home. Now its blowin NE again at,,,,- well you know what they say if you stick the crowbar out the window and it blows out of your hand,,,,,, its blowin plenty hard.

Chugged home at 14 kts- not scary big, nothin over 8 foot but like every 6 seconds you know tight and wet.

Cut fish in the rain had some to give to friends and got a great dinner with the family. Great day on the water and we didn't even have to chamois. I'm good for another 3-5 days now.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Well we just had a burst of sleet up here in North Jersey, (Bergen County). They had some snow out toward Parsippany which is about 20 miles west of here.

Crazy weather for this time of the year. I have a feeling we are in for a long long winter.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Well JP I know how you think, go for it & Harry well? I'm sorry yall had to cancel, the wind is blowing at the P'cola Beach tonight and I'm glad I'm not on the water for tomorrow. Harry, its not lookin good for yalls trip my friend and I feel bad for you & your crew, I know the Sea Spray is a 65 footer but? but its going to be Bloooooowing all weekend my friends. I know you all were lookin foward to this weekend. But I think I would pass on this one. Jp, glad you able sneak in there buddy.

DQ
Last edited by Capt. DQ on Oct 16th, '09, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Woke up this morning and took the dog for a walk in the snow. Yup, you read that right...

And it does not look like a very promising weather weekend for the worlds largest rowing regatta. Head of the Charles is in Boston. Oh well, I will endure! :)

That being said, it is definately not looking very fishable up here.

Dug
randall

Post by randall »

rainy and windy here....but it has been pretty nice up to now....oh well...you have to work sometime.
scot

Post by scot »

Really nice here for a change after a brutal summer. Next 4 days are low's upper 40's...high's upper 60's, ALL sunshine! I think I'll tackle my boat boat shelter this weekend.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Well Im living on my big boat at Jacksons Marina and this morning the water was up over the dock. As I looked across the bay you could see about 5 dock boxes and 7 or 8 coolers floating away. There were also coolers jammed between boats at the dock. I had to put garbage bags over my legs to get down the dock as not to get wet. Wind howling I made it to the truck. Great weather we are having! Oh JP at 44066 it was 21.7 foot waves at 630am gusts to 27knts just right for chunking!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Oooo Brewster, not a nice weekend to be living on a boat, 31 Bertram or not!

With the weather like this and the horrid inshore fishing by me, I'm really thinking about packing it in for the year.

Last two times I went out I couldn't find the bait, mark bait or even snag a dam bluefish with an umbrella rig...
Usually this time of year the Bay is just full of bait and the problem is trying to get the Bunker Spoons down fast enough not catch blues.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

sim
this wheather will start pushing the bait out and the bass south. it just starting
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Brewster Minton wrote:Well Im living on my big boat at Jacksons Marina and this morning the water was up over the dock. As I looked across the bay you could see about 5 dock boxes and 7 or 8 coolers floating away. There were also coolers jammed between boats at the dock. I had to put garbage bags over my legs to get down the dock as not to get wet. Wind howling I made it to the truck. Great weather we are having! Oh JP at 44066 it was 21.7 foot waves at 630am gusts to 27knts just right for chunking!
Brewster saw the Queen at the end of the dock there Nice view from there! I passed by around 5:20 pm Sunday coming back.
I looked but saw nobody aboard figured you were out on the princess.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

JP, The boat did look great comming in the inlet. I was parked on the Manasquan side for about 15 minutes eating lunch. Yours was the only boat I saw out.

Wish I had my camera with me.

Joe
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Joe F,

Yeah seemed like we kinda had to ocean to ourselves that day. Just another day in Bertram paradise.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Alright you guys! ! ! ! I can take a joke.....I am a good sport but enough is enough......CLOSE THAT NORTH DOOR It got all the way down into the 40's here last night.....and should only get back into the 60's today.......BURRRRRRR! ! ! !

Sitting here right now, with in a blanket sipping on a cup of hot coffee.....How much longer before SPRING...LOL

Harry
hb
randall

Post by randall »

full on nor'easter at the moment but its supposed to return to "normal" next week with sunny days in the 60s. still have a few surf and fishing sessions left in me for this season.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

At the 44066 bouy Wind Direction (WDIR): NE ( 40 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 35.0 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 44.7 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 21.0 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 10 sec
Average Period (APD): 7.4 sec
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.76 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.01 in ( Rising )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 55.2 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 58.8 °F
Dew Point (DEWP): 50.9 °F
Yea its Bertram weather
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Brewster,
Now that should be fun trolling lures or your boat down the face of those puppies.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Alabama....

Wind Speed....blew my hat off
Wind Gust......Blew my hat across the parking lot
Wind Direction....outta da norf
Temprature......Perfect for working and installing Soundown

And just think.......SPRING is less than 5 months away!! ! !! !

Harry
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Brewster Minton wrote:At the 44066 bouy Wind Direction (WDIR): NE ( 40 deg true )
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.76 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.01 in ( Rising )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 55.2 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 58.8 °F
Dew Point (DEWP): 50.9 °F
Yea its Bertram weather
At the CR107/RR152 intersection Wind Direction (WDIR): S (180 deg true)
Wind Speed (WSPD): 6.9 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 11.0 kts
Wave Height - Llano River - (WVHT): .005 ft
Dominate Wave Period (DPD): 17 sec
Average Period (APD): 10.3 sec
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.28 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.02 in (Falling)
Air Temperature (ATMP): 77.0 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 68.7 °F
Dew Point (DEWP): 52.0 °F

Yea it's John Deer & Inner Tube Weather...
gplume

Post by gplume »

Well as they say, there is a silver lining in every cloud. In spite of the 40 degree+/- temps (below freezing at my home in northern RI...got enough snow to nearly cover the ground) and the gnarly offshore wind - steady 25 mph+, gusts over 40.....the surf conditions were great for one of my favorites spots..Matunuck in RI. Nice head high sets, that stood up well due to the wind. If you made the wave...not easy due to the wind..you had a nice ride.

Randall...did you get in?
Giff
randall

Post by randall »

no...pretty out of control here. im sure someone did but it wasnt me.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

total disaster day !!! had to take a elderly man and his son out in a totally renovated 1987 35' egg harbor with one of my favorite engine combo`s big block yanmar 370hp. new driveline and he insisted we put a fuel cleaning system in it.a lot of valves and algae-x in line also transfer pump from one tank to the other. -------well big winds and some nice waves and he wants to fish for bass ---ok what ever!!! well we have one chum bucket low and one high as he fishes with clams . low and behold the boat " breaks anchor" both chum bucket line get tangle in the trim tabs and there is a dock banger to boot . well the seas are big and i play it safe and re-anchor (for fear of getting lines tangle in props) lay down on swim platform and try to reach under with gaff to grab lines when boat went up in air (i am not going in that water !!!!!) well i was able to cut both chum buckets and lose them and just leave lines tangle in trim tabs.took the boat to the dock and ran for a god damm axe to cut those fu-king tabs off !!!! what makes you think you would ever fish with tabs and a swim platform is beyond me!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

hell bob...that dosent sound so bad. of course it wasnt a real nice day for fishing to begin with. i thought the guys fishing from the dock were nuts.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob,
You put the Tabs on so you don't get the line in the Running Gear.

The Swim Platform is there so you don't get the line in the tabs.

Apparently you did not have the Upholstered Rear Seats to keep the line off the Swim Platform.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Carl
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the problem was i let down the windless ,thats something i am never involved in and the strong wind and waves kept the boat perfect into the wind. the anchor let loose and we were going 20knt backward in 10 seconds. when i jump up to the bridge to try to reset anchor it grab and stopped the boat again.(one man show) then i went to the stern and saw every thing tangle. i layed flat on the swim platform (if i go in the drink there is nobody to help-)and tryed to reach under the swim platform to get to the tabs while water was soaking me. thats when it occur to me why would anybody do this to a fishing boat???? i just lost it !!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Did you just call a 35' 1987 Egg Harbor a fishing boat?

Cored decks, think the hull is cored too. I know the 43 was cored, Baltek as I remember. Drill the transducer and let her drain for 2 days.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this one definitily has solid glass bottom we put new structs/shafts in her with gas to 370hp yanmars .great cockpit with refrigerator/bait freezer.boat was taken to bare glass bottom with 4step interlux bottom job.perfect endura paint job and no soft spots were detected in deck i will answer the hull side question tomorrow. boat is solid and runs 26 knots wot.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp i checked on the egg harbor today . bottom solid glass ,hull sides are marine plywood laminated glass the deck above v-berth is baltek but from windshield back ( this 1987 has optional solid glass windshield) is glass over plywood. where the windless line goes thru the deck you can see the tell tale blacken baltek so i notified the owner my friend he has a winter project. the ratio on the use of baltek for deck use on a boat that stays in the water for the season is like 90% bad or going bad for these egg harbors thru the egg harbor owners society . thank god bertram 31 did not go this route.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Yup the bigger they got during those years the more of that baltek stuff they used. It seems like that was the "aluminum wire" of the 80's

The 1987 35 isn't a bad looking boat. But they used allot of green wood throughout them and this was all before vac' bagging technology was used as the norm for resin saturation. The early style of lay up just allowed the moisture to stay in place once it got there. Check the through holes, hull vents and porthole if that model had one. If they are in the plywood sections just above the waterline I would bet that they are a bit moist.

Think I'd pick up an all wood Harkers Island before I got a cored mid 80's glass boat. Always go back to this thinking about cored hulls

KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp you certainly know your egg harbors i guess living in the state they were made in helps. guys like me get swayed away buy those beautiful teak raise panel doors and draws .egg harbor had some very talented wood workers. this 1987 has draws across the windshield area on the inside and a real nice layout. next week i work on a 1956 44' rybovich with cummin power.some guys just can`t get enough teak!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473