Volvo D4 260?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JK

Volvo D4 260?

Post by JK »

Any comments on this engine? I friend is looking at a boat with these engines....260hp 4cylinder and 150hrs.

Happens to be in a 31 Bertram FBC.

Thanks.

--JK
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

JK

Post by JK »

Thanks! This guy is looking at a 31 with the D4's and also my boat with the Cummins 6BTA 300hp engines.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1970/Be ... ted-States

or

www.seanile31.com

--JK
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

JK,

He should go with the Cummins.

While the Volvo are good engines, now that its years down the road on the design, computer and instrument issues have been showing up.

Those issues with any of the manufacturers have been leaving customers dead in the water. And out of warrantee, thousands lighter in the wallet.

I really thought given computer usage in general and in over the road stuff for years that the marine industry would have been spared many of the early issues common with new designs.

Not so much.

The other problem has been the cost for diagnostic tools and software for the dealer along with training.

Many so called dealers today still don't have the proper tools or the mechanics that know how to use those tools.

What I have personaly run into is missing drivers on software that is not documented by the manufacturers. Original or Beta software with glitches that is not documented. Upgrades to software because of programming issues that have not been documented.

And last but not least, the designers of the software and or computer systems that when asked a question, can't answer it.

Its like talking to low level Microsoft phone techs. If it isn't in the first few pages of the book they are reading from, they don't have a clue.

And most important to the consumer is out of the area cruising. It used to be if you had issues along a trip even though there might not have been a dealer, someone possibly form another company could help you out. Not anymore.

If you don't have a computer and the basics of fuel, water and battery are okay better make reservations on the next flight to fly out a mechanic at a cost to you in the thousands.

Extended warrantees with any of this computer stuff is a must.
Last edited by Bruce on Oct 11th, '09, 10:58, edited 2 times in total.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

When I was in my late 20's a local sailboat dealer was importing Cheoy Lee sailboats without engines and hiring me to fabricate the mounts and install the engines. Most owners choose the Perkins 4-107 but on the smaller boats Volvo was the engine of choice.

The first install did not go quite so well. The dealer purchased cheesy isolator mounts and it did not take long for the 1 or 2 cylinder engine to destroy mounts and exhaust connection. Of course we made it good but it was nearly a complete reinstall.

Second engine install, we purchased heavier more flexible mounts, made the dry part of the exhaust using a much longer section of the "Bellow" type tube material and put the stuffing box on a long section of rubber hose......dis time she beez much better! ! ! but over time it still tended to destroy itself......just leave everything "LOOSE AND SHAKEY"

The dealer ordered one boat with the engine already installed....Volvo bolted right to the engine bed with 8 MM rubber washer between the engine bed and the engine mount........wanna guess how that worked out?

I would vote take the CUMMINS! ! ! ! Like momma always said you'll thank me later....

H
hb
JK

Post by JK »

I am biased towards the Cummins as well. I've had them for 7 years now and only needed to replace the starboard fuel pump 2 seasons ago. Other than that, change oil, change zincs, keep rust off of em and they are good to go.

The question that comes up with my boat is I bought the diesels in 2002 as rebuilt engines but not rebuilt from the factory so there is no actual receipt of the work done. Any diesel mechanic can tell they have been rebuilt minus the turbos...new injectors, new style aftercoolers, etc etc etc. Bought the engines from DeMann Marine in Wilmington, NC and it seems that Tom DeMann is the regional Cummins guru and knows Cummins inside and out.

--JK
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

This was recently posted on The Hull Truth.
Al
Default Attention Volvo D series owners
I know I've been going on and on how great The "D" series engines are and I still think they're awesome. However there is one slight issue that I've just became aware of. If you have more than 500 hrs check you Large turbo rubber boot. squeeze it if it seems flimsy if it is change it. I have heard of two cases talking to my Vovlo Mechanic that has seen 2 fail. If the boot blows out your in deep doodoo. I was looking at one yesterday and saw what happened. The water and exhaust is eroding away the rubber and pressure is blowing them out. Its any easy fix but something we should all look at and even replace from time to time.
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

JK wrote:The question that comes up with my boat is I bought the diesels in 2002 as rebuilt engines but not rebuilt from the factory so there is no actual receipt of the work done.
I am pretty sure that you have ran your engines enough hours to determine if they are gonna fail or not. A good engine mechanic can do just as good of a job as the "Factory" can.......

That would not be a deal stopper for me if I were buying..... a fist full of receipts don't mean all that much to me........I say the proof's in the puddin....

Harry
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

JK,

Sorry but after 7 years on rebuilts, factory or not and still running strong, fussing by a buyer has no validity. Any factory warrantee would be up even on new engines.

Tire kicker.
scot

Post by scot »

Cummins.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Ditto on the Cummins.
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
JK

Post by JK »

Thanks for the replies. I can't see the downside to Cummins either. People ask me what is the worst case scenario that can happen with these engines and I don't know how to answer them since I have had no issues with the engines. I guess a blown turbo? I think at the price I am asking it incorporates any mechanical issues (which I know of none). So if a 6BTA needs a major overhaul how much can that cost??

--JK
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

People ask me what is the worst case scenario that can happen with these engines and I don't know how to answer them since I have had no issues with the engines
You know what I say when people ask me that?

Worst case is the engines blow, the blocks are trash and your out a crap load of money for a new pair.

And by the way that could happen to any engine maker, next question.

Don't beat yourself over the head trying to figure idiots like that out. I see em everyday and nothing you will say to them will make them sign the bill of sale.

They have no clue, will never have a clue and are mostly tire kickers looking for a free boat ride.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Whether they buy your boat, my boat, Bob Lico's boat or any boat, the answer is the same. Worst case scenario, you have to replace the engine. It can be as simple as a loose clamp, blown hose, faulty fuel or a defective filter and it can happen as easily on a well maintained boat as well as a poorly maintained one. Seems as if the people who are talking to you either haven't done their homework, don't know their asses from their elbows about diesels, or are playing games with you in hopes of your lowering your price. Don't do it. Walter