Hynautic Head Repair

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Dalik

Hynautic Head Repair

Post by JP Dalik »

Well after several years on the original head (33 to be exact) the inevitable finally happened.
Last Hudson trip there was the first drip of hydraulic fluid under the helm. Didn't loose pressure and certainly nothing to be concerned with safety wise but a leak non-the-less.
I drained the pressure off the system and removed the steering head (H25 near as I could tell).
I pulled the head apart and found 2 seals that needed replacing. Both were on the shaft and then the top o-ring was replaced for good measure.
Its amazing that parts were still available for this vintage product. It seems that one kit is available for all of the H2X series heads.

If anyone has a leaky head, don't be afraid of the repair. Be sure to work clean and put a little vaseline on the parts before assembly. I used a stainless sheet to work on and cleaned the parts in a solvent and brass wool, then I dried them with compressed air. The hardest part will be refilling and bleeding the system (really not that hard at all).

Working with hydraulic fluid is tougher than 5200, it seems to get everywhere even when you think your being neat.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Carl

Re: Hynautic Head Repair

Post by Carl »

JP Dalik wrote:Working with hydraulic fluid is tougher than 5200, it seems to get everywhere even when you think your being neat.
Tell me about it...after I hooked up the Auto Pilot and cleaned up... on what seemed like the hottest day and under a tarp I gave it a test...apparently I forgot to tighten one fitting which proceeded to blow squirting fluid over everything including me and the tarp overhead.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Great info. Thanks. It just so happens, my B28 is leaking from the exact same spot!
Bayside Bert28

Post by Bayside Bert28 »

I'm in the middle of a steering makeover ... rebuilt H50 Helm (had Chapman do it), new K19 ram (it was beyond repair) ... new rudder arms (the ball on the arms were warn to an odd shape). Should be nice once it all goes back together. The first time I bled the system in May when I was trying to determine what was wrong with the steering, I leaked steering fluid all over my navionics below the helm ... that was stupid. After finding steering fluid in odd places below the helm all season I'll be more careful this time.
1981 Bertram 28 Flybridge CruiserThird Strike II1984 Bertram 54 Big Buddy