Mufflers or No Mufflers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Woods

Mufflers or No Mufflers

Post by Harry Woods »

When I did my Yanmar 4LH repower I left the mufflers in place. I now need to replace one and remember a post a few years back suggesting that they be eliminated for this application. Please provide to pros and cons on what others have done. Also, if exhaust noise significently increased without them. Thanks.
Harry
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

None needed. Diesels make more noise on the intake side of the engine.

My un-muffled 4LH's are quieter than my muffled 454's were. The only advantage is the back surge protection.

I may still have my old 4" mufflers up in the attic. Let my know if you need one. I could bring it out there on Sunday.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Mike,
I think it was your post that I saw on the subject. I have surge tubes on the exhaust system and back flow is not a concern. It may be easier to cut them out of the system. Thanks for the offer for the muffler. I will talk with the yard when I put it on the hill. I just got back from the inlet a few minutes ago. The wind is cranking at 30 plus. The tide at 9:00 AM was almost over the docks with flooding on Dune Road. Let's hope the wind subsides before the evening highs.
Harry
randall

Post by randall »

it is howling out here. whitecaps in the little end of 3 mile harbor. i was checkin the lines when round the buoy comes some guy in a little outboard. i'm talking gusts to 40 easy. guy has some hair.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315