Any Bertram 30 Moppie Owners out there?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

renattayougotta

Any Bertram 30 Moppie Owners out there?

Post by renattayougotta »

Hello, I just purchased a '95 Moppie with no engines. Still debating between Yanmar and Cummins. She had Cummins originally.

Are there any 30 Moppie owners out there? I am in CT and would love to compare notes.

Thank you!

Capt Paul
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

paul we sold a 95 moppie at oakdale yacth last year. she made 30 knots with cummins 315 hp 95 diamond edition .performed real nice in rough water i worked on it test drove it .a trade in sold in 3 months for 95,000 .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Cummins....Cummins.....American iron and parts are reasonable. Not only that you wont need to re-engeneer the mounts. My Yanmar genset is nice but its a toy compared to others. A pair of 4bt 250 hp re-mans from cummins should push it close to 28-30knots. I just put two re-mans in the Tiara 31 express 210hp/1.54:1/20x22x3 props and its running
2000/21mph
2200/25mph
2400/27-28mph
2600/30mph
2750/32mph
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Dug

Post by Dug »

I wouldn't touch 4bta's with a rented...well, you know.

Don't count out the Yanmars. There are many here who have them (including me) and have not been disappointed. I just did a trip to East Atlantis, from Noank, CT which was 125 miles each way and I burned 175 gallons. Tough to top that.

Cummins 6bta's are great engines as Bob said.

It comes down to service ability and capability in the area where the boat will live.

Dug
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

well dug although we are yammar dealers you have to consider the fact the boats exhaust, fuel feed and return, motor mount height,stringer supports, shaft lenth and angle,gear mounts,were all set up for cummins and most important these days unless you are trying to get the japanese yen back up to where it was and you need to write off 10,000 dollars why would you go with anything but a remanufacture that is not remanafacture.those guys selling them have completly kill the sales of repowereing with anything but in the 300hp arena.like MORELAND HOSE said to up what asshole engine builder would make the output to the fuel injection pump with a parmanent barbed fitting!!! we have to bring the fitting to them and they silver solder a theaded adapter on it so it can accept the "theaded coast guard blue hose" added expense to the consumer just plain stupid!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scot

Post by scot »

Stay with the 6B if you want to be in the 200+hp range, the 4B's have had bucu injector problems at 250hp. You can read all about it on boatdiesel.com and the Carolina Classic owner's forums. At 155hp they are bullet proof.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Go with the 330B series. 4 bangers (Cummins or Yanmar) aren't enough to oush that boat.
Regards,

Doug L.
renattayougotta

Thanks for all of the feedback guys! It is great to see the loyalty for each brand. I am leaning towards the Cummins 330 Recons now since they would be a drop in and save some serious bucks. I recently found some dealers that seem good to work with, and I had an excellent conversation with the application engineer at Cummins. He is a Bertram guy! (a Bert35)

By the way, apparently there is a shortage for gear boxes now. Crazy! But, I guess the factories shut down for a while because of this crappy economy and the supply is low. I need the ZF220A 1.5:1 in case anyone knows of any hiding on a shelf somewhere.

Capt Bob Lico, if there is anyway you can get me in touch with the owner of the Moppie in LI, I would appreciate it. I would love to compare notes.

Will keep everyone posted!
Capt. Paul
860 918 5974
(Amarok on Bertram33)
JK

Post by JK »

Paul,

I have had great luck and a buddy of mine bought remans from DeMann Marine. He ships as well...If you call tell him John kelly and Luke Keiter recommended him.

Tom DeMann
(910) 791-6222
107 Bryan RD
Wilmington, NC 28412-7033
renattayougotta

Thanks John! I'll let you know how I make out.

Sweet 31 by the way!!
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

renattayougotta wrote: By the way, apparently there is a shortage for gear boxes now. Crazy! But, I guess the factories shut down for a while because of this crappy economy and the supply is low. I need the ZF220A 1.5:1 in case anyone knows of any hiding on a shelf somewhere.

Will keep everyone posted!
Capt. Paul
860 918 5974
(Amarok on Bertram33)

Did you try Tony at Seaboard Marine he usally has them in stock and is great to deal with. Bought mine from him.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

There are a couple of surplus places that advertise in Boats & Harbors that always have new, surplus IRM ZF 220A gears in 1.53 to one for about $2,800. I'll be happy to look at the latest issue and see what they have if you are interested in going that way. I second the motion to call Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine, he's the best.

UV
CaptMarkB

Post by CaptMarkB »

Owned a 95 with 315 Cummins for about three years. Real slippery hull, about 1.6-1.7 KMPG at 27 knots. Real sexy, looked like it was doing 30 kts standing still at the slip. However, you could loose your fillings in short 3-4 ft chop offshore. I once bent the outriggers (tower mounted) trying to run 22- 24 kts. Good thing the boat was built well. Good luck.
renattayougotta

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! I'll keep updating on the progress.....