Marine Head

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Marine Head

Post by Harry Babb »

I called Raritan and asked them this same quesiton and the guy wanted serial numbers....the tag has so much paint on it that I cannot get a number.

I have this Raritan Crown Head. I want to plumb it so that it will discharge into the TOP of a holding tank. The inlet of the holding tank will be about 18" higher than the discharge fitting on the head.

Will it work?

Harry
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Harry,

Questionable.

Since its out make a 18" riser out of some hose into a bucket.
Draw the intake water from a bucket.
Use a battery to power.

Also remember when pushing solids the head pressure increases. Throw some tp in the bowl while flushing to check.

I've seen some of the crown heads push water like a fire hose. Others backup with the slightest of ease.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thanks Bruce
I will try it and report back. I have purchased a kit and rebuilt this unit. One thing I noticed was that a plastic disc between the mascerator and the centrifugal impeller was missing.

I purchased a new one and put it in upon rebuild.

Harry
hb
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Harry,
My B33 factory set up was about a 2" rise over 2' to a Lectrasan. The output of that went to a vented loop that was about 18" higher then down to the thru hull. I thought it worked pretty well.

This year I had to rip all that out & put in a holding tank as the Lectrasan is no longer legal in our waters. (friggin politicians!) I now have it plumbed straight fwd about 18" down thru 1 1/2" pvc & aft about 4 1/2' & then up to discharge into a holding tank. The fitting at the top of the tank is about the same height as the Crown discharge. The head now pumps much better than the previous set up.

I'm sure you're aware that with an 18" rise you are relying on the joker valve to prevent any backflow. Since that section will always be filled with waste, I think I would use pvc that is soft coupled with hose at each end. I think otherwise any run of hose would get permeated fairly quickly.
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

lobsta1 wrote:Harry,
My B33 factory set up was about a 2" rise over 2' to a Lectrasan. The output of that went to a vented loop that was about 18" higher then down to the thru hull. I thought it worked pretty well.

This year I had to rip all that out & put in a holding tank as the Lectrasan is no longer legal in our waters. (friggin politicians!) I now have it plumbed straight fwd about 18" down thru 1 1/2" pvc & aft about 4 1/2' & then up to discharge into a holding tank. The fitting at the top of the tank is about the same height as the Crown discharge. The head now pumps much better than the previous set up.

I'm sure you're aware that with an 18" rise you are relying on the joker valve to prevent any backflow. Since that section will always be filled with waste,
I think I would use pvc that is soft coupled with hose at each end. I think otherwise any run of hose would get permeated fairly quickly.
Al
My thoughts exactly. Let us know how the test goes please, I am curious about the pumps force. The TP test will tell somewhat, but I think that the viscosity of solid waste would make it even more difficult to push than the TP alone.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry,
What are the three immutable rules of plumbing?
Hot's on the left.
Cold's on the right.
And . . .
Somethings don't run up hill.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Good point about the joker valve.

I would make that a yearly replacement and just make sure you flush enough to clear the line of waste.

I was a Raritan dealer in the 80's and rebuilt 100's of those crown heads.

Like a garbage disposer the macerator blades and how they move are important to chop waste so it flows smoothly.

What I ran into was the inconsistancy of the housing where the mac imp ran. We all know pressure on the blades controls pumping capacity.

I had a 14" riser on a test bech and checked every head I rebuilt. Most would pump okay, some would not.

As far a solids go, yes TP is not a consistant as po so get your wife to make some brownies. cut into squares and use them to test.
Last edited by Bruce on Oct 3rd, '09, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mikey wrote:Harry,
What are the three immutable rules of plumbing?
Hot's on the left.
Cold's on the right.
And . . .
Somethings don't run up hill.
Mikey
In our neck of the woods we only have 2 rules about plumbing

Water (or whatever) don't run up hill
and
Payday is on Friday

I intend to run the test that Bruce tested a little later today or tomorrow and I will definately report back

Right now (or before I took a lunch break) I am cleaning and vacuuming and trying to get all of the fiberglass dust cleaned up......man! ! ! that crap gets everywhere.....even in my shorts! ! !

Thanks

H
hb
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Harry...

Give it a real test!

Eat the brownies first!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry,
and if you're a plumber, don't bite your fingernails.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Frank wrote:Eat the brownies first!
Like the ones we made back in the 60's??

H
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry,
I don't remember the sixties.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

As the saying goes, if you remember Woodstock, you weren't there.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Well the verdict is in......at least this Crown Head will pump up hill.

The attached pics show the discharge hose 21" above the "Joker Valve".

Just could not bring myself to throw perfectly good Brownies down the toilet so I tested with 2 slices of Bologna, one slice of bread smeared with a healthy helping of peanut butter (with nuts) and a fist full of toilet paper....all in one shot. Little Miss Raritian had no trouble digesting.....

I am really glad that I did this test because I could not believe just how much water this little puppy pumped.......my guess is about 10 gallons per minute. She sucked the bottom out of a 5 gallon pail in short order....better supersize the holding tank for the ladies.

Harry

hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harry can we change the subject the cummins was a much better to look at!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob wrote:harry can we change the subject the cummins was a much better to look at!!!!
Sure Bob.....no problem at all....but I do need to make sure that the head is working properly.....I'm gonna need it when I add up the final cost of this project or the first time I smack something with my new bright shiney props. Ya know what I mean?!?!?!?

H
hb
Dug

Post by Dug »

Harry,

Sorry to be late to the party. I feel compelled to share my marine plumbing knowledge.

It is short and simple.

Always cut the top of the hose, not the bottom...

Dug
randall

Post by randall »

as any carpenter will tell you....water will definitely run uphill. my rules of plumbing and water in general are...........if you want it to flow freely ...it wont. if you want it to be contained ....it will leak.

BTW harry...you were right about it being an electric problem on that no idle deal
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Should have used a Baby Ruth..............

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1PmMFaVzbzc&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1PmMFaVzbzc&hl ... 1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

so I tested with 2 slices of Bologna, one slice of bread smeared with a healthy helping of peanut butter (with nuts) and a fist full of toilet paper

Wasn't that Elvis's last meal?
Last edited by Bruce on Oct 5th, '09, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

Put a crash valve on it and you could use it as an emergency bilge pump.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall wrote:BTW harry...you were right about it being an electric problem on that no idle deal
Glad you found it but......don't blow the horn quite yet.....make a couple more trips before you consider it fixed.

But I can tell ya.....I have had many more electrical problems than fuel problems.

I remember one time when I put a new engine in my old Chaparell I must have smashed a wire that went from the starter solenoid to the coil.....the damn thing would run just fine until for some reason the damaged wire would move around and short to the engine block.....drove me crazy...(I know..short drive).......the most embarrasing was when it stalled in the middle of the Christmas parade on Fish River.

The way I found it was.....I went to the auto parts store and bought an electronic ignition system....when I removed the distributor and coil I found the wire......I repaired the wire and took all of the electronic stuff back for credit.

H
hb