Fishing License

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Fishing License

Post by Carl »

So this fishing license goes into effect on Thursday if I am correct.

Sr called just about every tackle shop here on the Island, not one has them. They don't even know when they will have them.
A friend at one tackle shop said he applied way back when...but nothing has come thru...

He's a bit pisssed too, you can't blame him either. Gee...your not supposed to fish without a licence and we can't issue licences nor can I tell you where to get one...but hey, you wanna buy a pole, some lures and bait anyway....Great for his business.

This is gonna be one big mess...
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

sim
just purchased mine this morning on line. ill try and put up the link. ny dec web site
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

sim
ill put the link up tomorrro, what can i say i suck with a computer
2 places are selling on staten island
county of richmond
130 stuyvesant ave

downunder sports
88 guyon ave
Harv

Re: Fishing License

Post by Harv »

sim wrote:So this fishing license goes into effect on Thursday if I am correct.

This is gonna be one big mess...
Already was before they even put it into effect.
Brewster and I went to a meeting in Shinnecock regarding this, earlier this year. The biggest concern was earmarking the funds for the saltwater fishing community. We got promises from the politicians in attendance. Unfortunaltely, they had no way of ensuring the funds would be directed as needed, and instead, as we were all cioncerned about, the money goes into the State General Fund, to be misappropriated like all the rest of our taxes and dollars.
Harv
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I got mine today at East Hampton Town Hall. Beyond belief. You have to be there in person and have your NY State driver's license. Despite having mine, being at our Town Hall with all our home ownership information on their computers, they refused to give my wife (standing next to me) a license because she did not have her driver's license with her. I assumed the reason was because they were going to scan the picture from the driver's license and put it on the fishing license. No such luck. After 10-15 minutes on the computer, I was given a thin green piece of paper that was 2 1/8" by 3 3/8" that has my name and address on it and just the word "LICENSE". Unbelievably, it clearly reads 'VALID 10/01/2009 09/31/2010", yet underneath that, "License/Privilege: Res Mar Fish 2009 10/01-12/31" which is in direct conflict with the "VALID" dates above it. No description of the license holder ie: height, weight, etc.
I drove from there to the headquarters of the East Hampton Marine Patrol to ask if they knew the status of the injunction the east end townships had bought to move the October 1 effective date to January 1, 1010. I knew more about the situation than they seemed to. They promised to look into it and call me back tomorrow.
From there I drove home and called the DEC. They made it clear that the law goes into effect on October 1. When I raised the fact that out our way there are only two places you can get a license (and one closes at 4 pm on Friday), would the DEC hand out warnings rather than summonses on the first week or so? She then proceeded to switch my call to "enforcement", which got me a recording...which has not been responded to yet.
Boy, this weekend should be a real comedy act in the East End of Long Island!
Carl

Post by Carl »

cwj wrote:sim
ill put the link up tomorrro, what can i say i suck with a computer
2 places are selling on staten island
county of richmond
130 stuyvesant ave

downunder sports
88 guyon ave

Thanks cwj,

"downunder sports
88 guyon ave"

Thats rights right up the street from home. I have my tanks filled and the Skis tuned there as they are a Dive and Ski Shop. Who would have thought...I'll stop on the way home.

Gotta love this internet stuff, someone from outa town can locate a place up the block from where you live before you can...

Thanks again...funny I was thinking Tackle Shops would be the first place toi look, never even though to look at a Dive Shop.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

Carl

Post by Carl »

That worked quite well thanks..and done in my office.

Poor Sr has to get up and leave to get one though...his girlfriend doesn't have a driver license...that should be fun.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

just got a e mail back thanking me for my donation and stating that a offical licence will be arriving in the mail in 14 days, in the mean time print out a copy from the web site. lets see what kind of cardboard they send.
randall

Post by randall »

ill be fishing where no one else can get to. i guess out front of the marine patrol office (one of my favorite spots) is out of the question. maybe not.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

We have had a saltwater fishing license in La. for years....but my favorite was when I bought the camp years ago I was told I had to get a "flood permit" from the Parish before the power co. would turn the juice on.....sent Snow to the Parish Courthouse armed with paperwork and money.....after 3 hours he emerged less $25 but with a Flood Permit. I examined it with my lawyer eye......printed in big bold letters across the top "FLOOD PERMIT"...then it said it was issued to me, had the address of the camp, and the date, plus I had paid $25.....not one damn word what I was permitted to do or not do......did Ipay $25 so my place could flood? (which the downstairs has done numerous times during hurricanes) or is the $25 to keep me from flooding? If so, it was a gyp......

Government run amok.....get your pitchforks, boys.

UV
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

According to The Suffolk Times(10/01/09), State Supreme Court Justice William Rebollini yesterday "issued a temporary restraining order blocking New York State from enforcing the license requirement pending an Oct. 13th court date." The request for the TRO was made by the Towns of Shelter Island, Southampton and East Hampton based upon the ancient Dongan and Nicholls Patents which give control of local waters to the Towns. A spokesperson for the NYS DEC had stated that it was unlikely that citations for violations would be issued during the first three months as "DEC officers are being encouraged to help educate and assist the public as part of the introduction process of this new license requirement."
In Memory Walter K

Glad you posted that. More info than I could get from the East Hampton Marine Patrol and the DEC. Walter
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

According to the Donagan Patent the residents of Southhampton and East Hampton have the right to fish without any licence forever. This was granted to us by King James the II and cannot be taken away ever.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

What if you aren't a resident, but you are a taxpayer in one of those towns?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

If you are a taxpayer there, the town considers you it's resident and allows you to vote for it's officials.
In Memory Walter K

A local Bonacker commercial fisherman named Stuart Vorpahl (who flies the "Don't tread on me" flag on his boat) carries a laminated Dongan Pact on him at all times. He has never bought any permits and has gotten countless summonses from the DEC. He always appears in court with it and dumbfounds the court. The DEC has had his trials moved to other venues because they felt they couldn't get a fair jury. In every instance, there was never a resolution which I suspect would overturn a lot of DEC licensing on the East End. THIS situation may be the big one! Walter
Brewster Minton

King James said we win in court
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Brewster Minton

Acording to the patent we dont need the licence " in the distance a finback whale can swim in a day".
neil

Post by neil »

brewster that should cover most of the territory that you fish,jr caught a few nice bluefins this summer hope all is well neil