upper helm ignition on/off circuit

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

upper helm ignition on/off circuit

Post by Rocky »

Hi guys, just thought I'd say Hi and to ask, what typically shuts off the engines from the upper helm, the coil power circuit(gas) or the entire dash supply from lower helm? I know there is a "Bertram" circuit diagram out there somewere but I do not have one. There is a provision for two switches under steering wheel above the little doors, I'm assuming that is where they were. I would imagine you would want to be able to shut them down from up there, esp. in an emergency!
Thanks Rocky.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Mine is the main power switch for each engine bank, and they are separate from each other.
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Dick, that sounds like what I had in mind. Are those switches switching P and S at the lower helm off as well? In other words , breaking the circuit before the lower helm's P and S dash power?
Rocky
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

On the 31 with Gas engines, there are two ignition switches on the bulkhead under the wheel. The start buttons are part of the instrument panel.

There are tow main breakers in the Cabin on the FBC. These serve to kill the power to the engines and the switches.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Rocky,

I do not have a lower helm, but I do have three separate battery switches. There are separate banks for the port, starboard and house and they are maintained separately by an isolator. The switches that control the power for the engines are located on a panel beneath the hatch that is beweeen the engines. I have it set up so each battery switch will operate from either battery bank or both, just in case one bank craps out on me.

I do not have a switch to tap into the house battery incase they both crap out, but I can change the lead to the engine switches in a matter of a few minutes in case that unlikely scenario happens.

This is sometime a pain in the ass. My fuel gauge is located on the starboard instrument panel and only works if I have the starboard switch on. I have my fuel monitoring system tied into the port panel and have to switch the port battery switch to on just to monitor the starboard engine. I'll solve these little irritations later this winter when it isn't so hot to work on the boat.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Most of the 31's I've worked on with dual helms, you had to have the lower ignition switches on to start and run.

Its no big deal to change that though to have two independant ignition circuits.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Rocky; I have a 1966 wiring diagram if it will help you. Send me your email if you want it.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Bruce, I think I will run my switches as an interupter Before the lower helm supplied power so it kills everything from up top, (P and S being seperate switches of course).
Rawleigh, yes I would greatly appreciate that diagram! Even if I don't keep OEM, it is nice to know how it was done.
gareism@aol.com
Thanks again, Rocky
P.S., We've decided to keep our B31, Thank God!!