Imbedded Footings for Half Tower

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Imbedded Footings for Half Tower

Post by CaptPatrick »

Thought some of you might be interested in how I'm building in the footings for Hancock's half tower. As usual, at this stage of his website, I'll let the images do most of the talking. Happy to answer any questions...

http://bertram31.com/hancock/img/bridge/tower/

Br,

Patrick
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

that is slick, the only thing I dont like about plates is that should the top need to be removed the bolts will usually break from corrosion.

Now should he be a very good boat owner and remove those bolts and apply a teflon gel every 6 months or so then im sure he wont have a problem.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:that is slick, the only thing I dont like about plates is that should the top need to be removed the bolts will usually break from corrosion.

Now should he be a very good boat owner and remove those bolts and apply a teflon gel every 6 months or so then im sure he wont have a problem.
TefGel will avert that problem with only one application at the time of installation...

http://wolfwire.com/tefgel/frameset.htm

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Works as/in place of dielectric compound as well?

M
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob Merganthaller, the fellow that invented and patented TefGel, formulated it specifically as an issolation between two dissimilar metals, specifically stainless and aluminum. In thin film electrical current has no problem with conductance. In place of a dielectric compound, I can't say...
randall

Post by randall »

well....thats a very clever solution.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Can't claim total originality. JP gave me the idea by the way he did "Chimera", except that he did it from underneith the brow and covered the whole area with teak. Since I'm still in the ugly duckling stage, what's another couple of patches?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I can't say when we embedded the aluminum plate that removing the tower was ever part of the equation.

Can't imagine ever having to take this thing off after running all the wire through it.

Even with the 2" legs I might suggest supporting the rocket launcher with some vertical supports That was the weak point in our set up, it provided a significant harmonic when loaded with Penn 80's and 50's. After the supports were installed they seemed to have removed a considerable amount of "play" out of the hard top.

Its great to see how ideas are massaged and improved upon amongst different boats. I recognize the flat screen set up and see the way you kept the helm pod above the bridge line. Will Pat's bridge be set up as a stand up helm or more traditional as a sit down like Buddy Boys?

Neat stuff I love the series or generation improvements from one boat to the other. Almost makes me want to do another one.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

JP,

Thanks for the reminder about the extra bracing, will probably make that addition after the tower is installed... Got your PM and will be giving you a call. Let me know when you're back in town.

Br,

Patrick
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

I agree that generational improvements on different applications are great, a great way on improving things as to each individuals needs an looks for each boat. Adds alot of character to me. Great thinking Guys. Keep it up.
Thats whats so neat about this site.
R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
DavidDW

Post by DavidDW »

Thanks for putting the photos up Patrick. It will be a great help to me. For us guys who aren't boat builders, this sort of tutorial really helps.