Interesting Project

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Interesting Project

Post by Harry Babb »

Check this out.....

Viking 64' (I think?), twin C32 Cats, 700 hours and the crankshaft broke.

Now come the interesting part, the engine has to be completely disassembled down to the block assembly and rotated on it's side to be removed thru the companion way but not before using a skill saw to cut clearance in the companion way wall of a $3.4 million yacht.

hb
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Well,....
shouldn't cost to much...the crate motor only cost me about $25000 when I blew a hole in the block of my C12 in my rig. I guess if you can afford the boat you can afford the bills. :)
coolair

Post by coolair »

i hope he bought the extended warranty!!! i would be, umm piiisssed
Carl

Post by Carl »

I love going to boat shows and asking the salesmen, so if the motor has to come out...how do you remove?

The usuall answer I get is "Well these are XYZ motors and just about everythig can be done in the boat".

To which I respond, yeah, but what if you had to...

Well you...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Been there got the t shirt.

A good part of the time extended warrantees don't fully cover extractions in difficult locations leading to a pissing match between all parties.

If there is no warrantee the owner wants to know why the in and out costs as much or more as the engine.

My usual reply is,
Its nice to have a pet bear that makes diamonds in his ass. But remember from time to time your gonna wanna get one and its not gonna be pleasant.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bruce, if a comedian tells a joke in the woods and there is no one there to hear it, is it still funny? Thought of that last night during the Emmys.
My wife named our airedale Emmy saying that I finally got mine. Regardless of location I don't see the humor.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Kurt wrote:I guess if you can afford the boat you can afford the bills. :)
A couple of months ago, a local mechanic brought a heat exchanger to us off of Cat marine engine. I guess times are bad and money tight because I don't believe zincs were ever changed and the aluminum housing had serious corrosion and the core was in very bad shape.

I was informed that a new exchanger was $3500.00 and the owner was not able to afford a new one....so just do the best we could to repair this rotten thing and save $.

I could not help thinking....$3500 is chicken feed when compaired to a 65 foot yacht.....some times all you can do is just laugh and continue on about business....

H
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

It's often hard to recognize how far some have been extended by the change in the economy. Replacement of almost anything falls into the category of thousands rather than hundreds and parts often exceed the cost of the original whole unit. I'm finding it with electronics. The smallest easy to replace part either no longer exists, or costs as much as the original unit did. An updated version costs in the thousands.
randall

Post by randall »

one offshore trip on my friends B60....$4500 (one particular overnighter)....including capt, mate, bait , fuel food and drink..........no charge for the wide screen hi def TV to watch football on while trolling.

its a very different world. when asked to go the first time i told em i would cut bait all day but i wasn,t chippin in for fuel.