B20 moppie to c/c

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

B20 moppie to c/c

Post by Bertramp »

I am considering a small runabout type of boat (the 13 whaler just doesn't cut it any longer) and have always loved the B20 center consoles. Problem is, they are hard to find and pricey when you do. How much of a project is it to switch a side steer moppie to a center console ? ... have any of you done this ?
Same question could apply to a B25 moppie.
thanks
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I suspect it would be a pretty big deal.....I owned a B20 Bahia Mar for a while and am familiar with how the 20s are built. A much better option would be to track down a B20 Sportsman model, which is a really neat center console.

UV
John F.

Post by John F. »

Check out CMP's B20--he posted recent pics below. That started life as a moppie. I have a moppie that'll become a CC eventually. Personally, I think its a pretty good way to go. Every B20 I looked at except CMP's (which had been redone) and the moppie i bought, had rotted decks, transom, and stringers. My moppie had the transom redone into an O/B (why I bought her), and the deck is bad and I'm sure the stringers will be bad. Bertram only glassed one side of the stringers, and left hte other side unglassed raw ply.

Sooo, they all need to be gutted, with new stringers, foam, and decks. With my moppie, I'll cut out the bow section, get a new console (that'll be alot more functional than the console that came on the sportsman ccs), and I'll have a flat deck all the way around, rather than a step up like the sportsman. Essentially, I'll have the B20 hull (great hull), built just the way I want it--one of these days. For now, I just use her as is, and she's been great.

John
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

It has been done, but it's a lot of work. If you're good with fiberglass, you can really customize it to meet your personal needs. The ones that have been done were spectacular.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bertramp,

Uncle Vic helped me purchase an original B-20 Sportsman (CC) about 6 years ago down in his neck of the swamp. I sent you a PM.

Tommy
John F.

Post by John F. »

Here's a link to my B20 from an earlier post. I really wanted to do an O/B conversion on a 20, and that was already done. She runs great. I've had her a year now, and use her alot. The moppie layout is really pretty practical, so the CC conversion will be whenever I get to it.

http://www.bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopi ... f055fd8cda
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Link was off, but I see the other thread. NICE boat !! Mattituck ... my backyard. The outboard conversion is real nice too .... enjoy
Buju

Post by Buju »

I'm in the process of doing just that (B20 moppie to CC)... well, when I actually have the time that is.
I cut the fordeck from the forward hatch in a gradual curve to the gunnel. Will be glassing in the raised lip for a OEM looking transition.
The cockpit sole is ripped out, along with the bulkheads. Stringers are still in, but not for long.
Picked up an old beat down console from a older Seacraft i think. The main qualification in the console was that the GM 350 fit nicely under it. So yeah, gonna free up the transom by no longer having a big engine box there, I think the ride is gonna be real sweet as well with the engines weight further forward, yet still aft of the COB by a few feet.
Project has been idle for a while now, but will be resuming in short order.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.