Engine Replacement -Reman. - Experiences? Recommendations?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

redcat20

Engine Replacement -Reman. - Experiences? Recommendations?

Post by redcat20 »

24 Bertram - 89 Volvo Penta 350 Chevy small block- 270hp. Toying with thought of freshing it up. One option is short or long block reman. as an economical way to do it.
Any experiences? Any recommendations to share?
redcat20
Redcat20
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I think the best total upgrade (including new transom assembly and drive) is a 383 stroker from mercury marine. It is a 'remanufactured' engine, but from what I understand only the block 'might' have been in an engine before.

It is basically a bored 377 or 6.2 liter.

Check www.marinepowerservice.com, dougrussel.com or local dealer, but you should be able to pick up the entire package with a Bravo III for about $13k.

I'm thinking of this package in my B25.

Ian.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I looked into this awhile ago. I asked a couple of mechanics I trusted what they thought about remans. Both said that the only reman they'd put in would be from mercruiser. They didn't think the other remans. were reliable enough. Or, if you have a reputable builder in your area, you may want to give them a shot at rebuilding your engine--one guy recommended that.

Another option is to get a new longblock, and put it together or get it put together (add intake. exhaust, starter, etc.) That's another option if your accessories are new/great shape. The numbers don't work well if you have to buy the accessories.

Other than that, your buying the whole deal from mercruiser/crusader/whoever.

If you do a search, somebody on this board, and I forget, went the new longblock route. Its worth a read. Depending on how long my 454s last, I may go that route. If they last long enough, I'll go new, because then the recently replaced accessories will be old....

Good Luck.

John
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I've seen reman gas from just about every builder. All failed.

Buy new on gas.