Securing stainless tanks??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

lobsta1

Securing stainless tanks??

Post by lobsta1 »

We have two B33's we are converting over to stainless gas tank. One is a SF. Once the tabbing was cut loose, the tank lifted straight up. On my 1978 FBC, I had to cut out the aft bulkhead to pull the tank. That will be getting glassed back in after the new tank is in. I will only be able to glass from one side so it will not be as strong as the original. The bulkhead was only tabbed to the bottom & stringers. The side ends are free floating as the exhaust run down the sides.

The problem we are having is the ??? of how to restrain the tanks. Does any one know where we can get strapping to secure the tanks. ( And what is the proper name for the strapping)

Thanks
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
BillD33

Post by BillD33 »

Guess you stumped em' with this one Al!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I would suspect that given the environment and the problems with dissimilar metals, they should be stainless straps or totally non-metal ones. I know that every year when I get my liferaft serviced, it's rebanded with stainless straps. Perhaps a source? Walter
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Bill, went to Fraser Welding in Marblehead last Friday. Several people had mentioned that name. They don't answer the fone & no answering machine. Got there & the shop was wide open. No one there & the people next door the the Trading company had not seen the guy all day. Left a note on the work table next to the package from UPS. Still have not heard back. Guess the guy is so busy he does not need any more work.

Walter, where do you send your raft off to? That is something I never considered.
Thanks
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

It is a Switlik Raft-I'm sure Switlik will give you an authorized inspection/repacker in your area. Mine goes to Marine Safety Corp. in Farmingdale N.J. Phone (732)-938-5668 Fax (732) 938-4839. Hope this helps. Walter
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Al,

Mike Fraser is the guy I had originally tapped to do my hardtop. Its not a they, only a him. For a number of different reasons, I wound up going with someone else. My brother has used Mike to do some work on his sailboat. The story I got from both my brother and my cousin Norm is that he does great work when you can get him to work. The problem is that he does a lot of work for the yard where his shop is at.
Regards,

Doug L.
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Al,
I used the David Pascoe method for securing my SS aux tank. 1/4" PVC foam board 1" wide as shims all around and under side. Pine epoxied and glassed was used for the for and aft partitians. Whatever method you choose just dont use any metal for securing thta will cause galvanic corrosion. And make sur you coal tar epoxy the tank if you have not already ,2 coats. http://www.yachtsurvey.com/
Dave K
Keep Fishing...