Rotella Oil Question for Gas Mercruiser?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkD

Rotella Oil Question for Gas Mercruiser?

Post by MarkD »

Hey Guys.. Dumb question perhaps? In my old mid-80's Mercruiser 260 gas engines, can I run Rotella 15w40 diesel oil? Anything that would cause a concern? Any insight would be apprecaited. Thanks,
randall

Post by randall »

thats what ive been runnin in my engines for 11 years....360 chryslers.
Carl

Post by Carl »

and Randall...how are those engines running today???!!

...couldn't pass that one up. Sorry.

Look on the bottle, you'll see what specs it meets or exceeds. I've found most, if not all diesel grade oil meets and exceeds the the required specs for most car and boat motors.

I'd use it without hesitation.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I've run Rotella T 15W40 in everything I own for years, from Cummins 6BTAs to pressure washers, cars, generators and no issues at all. Both of our vehicles are 97 models and use zero oil.....Cummins did a study years ago and found that the 15W40 Rotella used in the 6BTA and 6CTA engines reduced oil comsumption to near zero vs. a single grade oil.

Best there is in my view.

UV
coolair

Post by coolair »

only question i have, is, i thought i read some where that the diesal oils do not have the detergents the other oils run, i could be wrong and not thinking right just wondering
In Memory of Vicroy

Just about all motor oils have detergents nowdays....in fact, my book on the ZF IRM 220A gears calls for a non-detergent 30W motor oil and I had to hunt real hard to find any.....ZF said the detergent caused foaming, but I understand they have now reversed that advice and you can use any kind of motor oil in the gears....I still use the non detergent 'cause I have a case on hand.

UV
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Rotella T (15W-40) is my personal favorite and use it in everything from big block boat engines to vintage cars to an '06 Dodge P/U. Truth be known there is really very little difference in motor oils between brands - the important thing is pick one with a CI-4 or CJ-4 rating so that you get sufficient ZDDP content for the cam/lifter interface.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thats what my yanmars get
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

I'd 2nd what White Bear said.

If I knew what it meant.
scot

Post by scot »

UV,

Where did you find the stuff? The Twindisc I just purchased for my project also calls out a 30W non-detergent.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Scott, try Agway or any farm supply store.

Maybe even a John Deere or a Moto Guzzi dealer........

http://www.thehardwarecity.com/getProdu ... ku=4469151

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1UBY5
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Scot - I got it at Pep Boys but its been a while ago.....

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

White Bear: I think you mean CI4 or CF4. CJ4 is the new rating with reduced ZDDP for the new diesels with the cats.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Buju

Post by Buju »

The pumps on direct drive pressure washers usually call for non-detergent 30W. I found it at the second gas station I tried, a Tom Thumb about a mile up-island... I'd be surprised if the local Napa didn't carry it, shouldn't be too hard to find.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
randall

Post by randall »

sim wrote:and Randall...how are those engines running today???!!

...couldn't pass that one up. Sorry.

Look on the bottle, you'll see what specs it meets or exceeds. I've found most, if not all diesel grade oil meets and exceeds the the required specs for most car and boat motors.

I'd use it without hesitation.

look at the idle thread for todays results.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Ya o'reilly auto sales it, its like on the lawnmower isle stuff,
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Power Guard 30W is what O'reilly's has. Its what I use on my ZF220's.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

To get back to the initial question...The 15-40 is fine..if you have always used it otherwise, In my view stay away from changing to it. The detergent properties will scour those motors sort of like ethanol in a fuel tank. If you really want to change over be prepared for a few very low hour oil changes to ged rid of all the crap that is disloged by the 15-40.
Carl

Post by Carl »

randall wrote:
look at the idle thread for todays results.

Thought it was funny when I wrote it...

Glad to hear they are purring like kittens again.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rocket wrote:To get back to the initial question...The 15-40 is fine..if you have always used it otherwise, In my view stay away from changing to it. The detergent properties will scour those motors sort of like ethanol in a fuel tank. If you really want to change over be prepared for a few very low hour oil changes to ged rid of all the crap that is disloged by the 15-40.

But we are all supposed to use detergent oil in our motors, so what would be the difference with Rotella?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

NAPA has 30 wt nondetergent. I used it in the headstock of my lathe. I don't use it in engines.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I am by no means an expert, but I run a 30 truck diesel fleet and have had this conversation with my head mechanic a few times. The 15-40 that we run in the diesels has very strong detergent properties due to the soot and particulates inherent in a diesel motor. Gassers are so much cleaner that I do not believe plain vanilla 5W30 or equivalent have nearly the same detergent properties. If used from new the 15-40 is fine as nothing ever builds up. If switching over, all sorts of carbon deposits will be disloged. I am prepared to be wrong on this as it is second hand, but from a really good source. I will ask him to clarify so I understand it better.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Rocket- Fleet operators know. Funny how synthetic oils never reached widespread use with them. Not worth the higher cost.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rocket wrote:I am by no means an expert, but I run a 30 truck diesel fleet and have had this conversation with my head mechanic a few times. The 15-40 that we run in the diesels has very strong detergent properties due to the soot and particulates inherent in a diesel motor. Gassers are so much cleaner that I do not believe plain vanilla 5W30 or equivalent have nearly the same detergent properties. If used from new the 15-40 is fine as nothing ever builds up. If switching over, all sorts of carbon deposits will be disloged. I am prepared to be wrong on this as it is second hand, but from a really good source. I will ask him to clarify so I understand it better.
Interesting...thanks. If you don't mind ask if he believes there would be a down side with the extra detergent...other then needing an oil change sooner.

Our local Engine Guru told me Diesel Oil just had to take more abuse then regular motor oil, said it would be no problem to use... other then it just cost more.

I like to hear all sides.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Apprecaite all of this feedback. I believe the engines are realtively clean b/c I change the oil quite often but I would like to hear what you all think before I go and put Rotella in them. Thanks again.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Both my father and I have been using Diesel Oil's on and off for years in our boats. We usually just order whatever they have on hand in 40W that is a quality oil.

We have racked up 1000's of hours on our motors and haven't had a problem related to oil or wear.

Ethanol is a different story.

If you have it, I'd use it. If you can get a good deal on it, I'd use it.
I wouldn't go out of my way to get it though.
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Just my $.02 but....rotella only gave my cat engine 10 years of life.
This is in my rig but...after 1.1 million miles in a 1999 Peterbilt, my cat C12 finally bit the dust earlier this year. It had been inframed at about 450k miles when it blew a head gasket. I had almost no oil use at each oil change (10k miles) and used a gallon of lucas with each change.