1 1/2" aquamet 22

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ScottD

1 1/2" aquamet 22

Post by ScottD »

What should I expect to pay for a set of a 1 1/2" aquamet 22 shafts? I also was looking at aquamet.com and they list aquamet 17 as the same strength as 22 in the 1 1/4" to 2". Is corrosion resistance the only advantage 22 has over 17? If thats the case, on a boat kept on a lift, is the advantage worth the additional cost? I don't even know if there is a cost difference, just asking questions BEFORE I drop the cash.

Thanks, ScottD
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Scott, my 13' aqua 22 was just under a grand. My understanding was the 22 is tortionally stiffer, so it doesn't torque under load, of course it would seem you'd be transfering that xtra thrust to the prop, so you'll need stiffer props also
ScottD

Shafts

Post by ScottD »

Tim, were your shafts 1 1/2", and was that each or for both? Don't think I'll make the FLL show, my time off was cut short.

Thanks, scott
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

1 1/2" and per.
Sorry your not going to make it, I was looking forward to seeing you. Maybe I'll plan a escape from the frozen north east in jan/feb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Lot of guys here bought shafts from a coonass machine shop in Harvey, La in the N.O. area and got some real good prices, like 500 ea. for AQ 22 shafts. Can't remember the name of the place, and don't think it blew away in Katrina since it was on the west bank.

High Pockets used to live down the street from it, he'll remember the name and contact info.

UV
nic

Post by nic »

Dan at High Tide just quoted me $1,198 for a pair of Aq22 x 1.5" shafts.

Nic
ScottD

Aquamet 22

Post by ScottD »

Thanks guys, I won't be needing them for a while. I still didn't get any info about the 17 vs. 22 though, all the specs. including torsion are the same in the 1 1/4 to 2" range. I guess everyone buys the 22 for a good reason, I'll follow suit.

ScottD
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Scott,

The principle difference is that the higher the number, the more corrosive resistant the alloy is. The lower the number, the alloy is a little less brittle. I prefer AQ22. Diesel HP at or below 240 can remain 1 1/4", 250 - 330 needs 1 1/2", 250 - 440 needs 1 3/4".

Br,

Patrick
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I don't know where you guys are looking, the common pleasure boat grades of 19 and 22 do have different tensile and torsional strengths.

The 22 has a higher nickel content.

17 is heat treated and has less than half the nickel of 22 and less chromium but has the same strength of 22. More what you see in tugs or work boats.

Pat those shaft sizes/hp's are okay for the 31, but boats that can use different ratio gear boxes, say a 3:1 with 440hp would be over 2" in diameter to handle the size of the prop it needed to swing.
ScottD

aquamet 22

Post by ScottD »

Bruce, I was looking @ www.aquamet.com/ I just noticed 17 & 22 were the same strength ratings, the boat sits on a lift so I didn't know if the corrosion resistance was an issue. I'll go with the 22 anyway, just wondering if I would notice the difference.

Thanks, ScottD
Brianb

Post by Brianb »

Vic,

I believe that you are referring to Bayou Machine in Harvey on Peters Rd. Since you guys mentioned them, I have been dealing with Archie, and the pricing and service are great. I just flew him over to Houston to do the layout on a set of V struts he is building for me for a bigger boat. They know their stuff. I believe the number is 504-362-9015.

Brian
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

For general operation the ratio between Prop dia to Shaft dia is 15:1. This rule of thumb is NOT for high performance operation and high speed applications.
Another point of interest is that you can actually request your shafts to be manufactured from Aquamet 22HS. The HS is High Strength. When the material is forged and tested the mills have a "Mechanical & Chemical" tolerance range that will be published on the "MTR"and that is available from the distributor. Bars that test to the high end of the Mechanical Specification is sold at a higher price and refered to as 'HS". I do not know from memory the tensil strength but if anyone is interested I have access to it. Just let me know.
The 17 does not do well when it is subjected to stagnant, still water like on a pleasure boat where it's in the stall most of the week or month and only used on weekends. On the other hand work boats move around most every day and the 17 is an excellent choice for them.
Harry Babb
scot

Post by scot »

What would an "average" difference be in cost between 17 & 22?...10%...20%?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Although propeller shaft manufacturing is not our core of business we do make shafts several times during the fishing season.
It goes like this....We purchase material on a Job Shop level. Rarely do I keep inventory. Aquamet 17 is about $5 a pound and Aquamet 22 is $7+ per pound and on the job shop level the amount of material that you will be charged for depends on how the shop utlizes the bar that they purchased.
The customers pay for the drops unless the shop has a use for the drops. 1-1/2" dia Aquamet weighs about 6 pounds per foot. Labor varies from shop to shop, but the labor to make a shaft using 22 is only slightly more than the labor to make a shaft out of 17.

I find it amusing that during the 60's and 70's most boats had bronze shafts. As stainless steel became more available to machine shops in our area and I personally replaced a lot of bronze shafts with 304 SS shafts, including the 31's and comparable boats as well local shrimping boats. A lot of these boats are still in the area and running well.

Pretty much everybody has gone to the 22 and that is also my favorite but in most cases is far superior to the basic requirements of the boat.
22 yields excellent strength as well as excellent corrosion resistance. Aquamet or Aquatec are just trade names. The generic name for this material is XM-19.