fish hook removed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brewster Minton

fish hook removed

Post by Brewster Minton »

This is one way to do it. <object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/43f_125288821 ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/43f_1252888218" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

A local doctor, Dr. Emery Lewis developed that technique. It works very well. Just be sure to keep pressure on the shank of the hook as you pull it so that the barb stays disengaged.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

I got hooked a couple years ago, someone asked me if I wanted a hook removal tool then handed me that. A package with a string and a directions sheet.

They had no idea how to use, I couldn't figure it out with the hook in my hand. Guess I would have needed someone to help...

I wound up pushing it out the other side, cut the barb off and pulled it out, not fun.

Think it's one of those things you should practise with first...appartently it works.

Cool video...Don't remeber the part about swigging Jim Beam...wonder if Wild Turkey would work??
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I need someone to explain how the string "disengaged" the barb, as it obviously worked great in this case. I watched it several times, but still do not understand the mechanics behind the process. Like Sim, I would probably push through and snip the barb in that situation.

Tommy
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I just posted it incase it could help some one here. I am known for taking hooks out of people. I did three this summer. Two hands and a head. Taken maybe 60 or 70 out altogether. My advise is do it right away before it gets sore all around the hook.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Years ago I got a big hook in the palm of my hand and son Capt. Brent did Brew's trick with some 80# mono, worked perfect.....I softened me-self up for the operation with a good shot of Jack D's....

Now at one of the UVIs at Port Eads seems a certain Judge managed to hook someone in the ear (?) with a jig head....the good news was they radioed to base (the Pain Killer houseboat) and we had an esteemed surgeon on hand, in fact The Surgeon General of the UVI....he laid out his traveling OR on the sterile (?) dining table, we all put down our drinks to assist, and the patient was duly laid out for examination.....as the Surgeon General raised his mighty blade to cut, he touched the jig head and it fell out on the table.....damn, it was gonna be a good bloody operation.....

The trick to the hook removal with the loop is to press very hard on the shank of the hook as you jerk with the loop....some wire or bolt cutters come in handy if the hook is attached to a lure or wire....

UV
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Tommy,
Check out the info from this site.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010601/2231.html

I've seen it done a few times and always thought a step was missing since the the barb was never "disengaged" and others have described it as having that benefit.

I guess it's primarily the benefit of the fast approach rather then push it thru and clip the barb.

Ray
randall

Post by randall »

a few years ago a fellow got a big hook through the hand while boating a sizable shark. they couldnt remove it at sea so they took him to southampton hospital ER. the doctor looked at it and heard the story. hids first question " what are the numbers?"
Carl

Post by Carl »

randall wrote:a few years ago a fellow got a big hook through the hand while boating a sizable shark. they couldnt remove it at sea so they took him to southampton hospital ER. the doctor looked at it and heard the story. hids first question " what are the numbers?"
LOL,
Now that sounds like something my father would say...
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks Ray,

Great description in your post.

Tommy
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Pushing down on the shank eye is the key to disengaging the barb while you pull it out. This pushes the tip of the hook down so that when it is removed the underside of the hook tip shields the barb and keep it from digging in to the flesh as it is pulled backwards.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Vicroy wrote:
Now at one of the UVIs at Port Eads seems a certain Judge managed to hook someone in the ear (?) with a jig head....the good news was they radioed to base (the Pain Killer houseboat) and we had an esteemed surgeon on hand, in fact The Surgeon General of the UVI....he laid out his traveling OR on the sterile (?) dining table, we all put down our drinks to assist, and the patient was duly laid out for examination.....as the Surgeon General raised his mighty blade to cut, he touched the jig head and it fell out on the table.....damn, it was gonna be a good bloody operation.....
UV
That 'someone' was his son. High pockets and I were on the boat at the time, and got in trouble for speeding into the marina......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Randall- That was me. The doctor who was working on me asked how it happened. When I told him over the curtained wall the doctor from the adjacent area asked "what were the numbers?".
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Was it Dr. Andrews?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

small town funnies......................

does this ever end.......theres a picture of walter's boat on the cover of the local paper the day my son was born. and a bunch more.
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

The key to operating in Port Eads is good whiskey or rum....in large volume.....split evenly 'tween the surgeon and patient.
coolair

Post by coolair »

well,
i just got back from a tuna trip, 240miles round trip, like 20hrs running, for about 1.5hrs of fishing cause some how one of the guys got a trebble hook in his big toe while gaffing a 50lb yellow fin. We had all seen the video, but considering it was was so deep we didnt pull it out, which something to consider, when he got to ER and they pulled it out it shot blood out about foot in air, could have been bad if we had pulled it out 120miles off shore. Poor bastard wanted to keep fishing, good thing he had plenty of scoth!
If you dont have it you should get some " blood stop" or something like it to help stop bleeding.
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

You don't need anything fancy. If something is bleeding, put your finger on it and hold direct pressure. Don't wrap it up in a towel or put a tourniquet on it, put your finger....if it is a big artery (femoral or brachial) use two fingers. on it and push. If that doesn't stop it, your in trouble.