Advise for Buddies boat, Rotted gunnel core

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Advise for Buddies boat, Rotted gunnel core

Post by Carl »

When trying to upgrade the pole holders we found water had seeped into the gunnel and rotted away the wood core in the surrounding area. Some only an inch or so all around was wet and we figured let it dry out and fill with Marine-Tex and refitt. But in two spots the damage goes several inches deep (maybe 6")...a bit much for Marine-Tex or Fiberglass.

I read the Tips Section about Core Damage...but working upside down in such tight quarters makes core replacment pretty difficult to say the least.

Any suggestions on a good way to fill and seal up the area, making it strong enough for some HD Pole holders and not have to worry about voids or shrinkage...I had though about injecting foam or fiberglass with filler to avoid heavy shrinkage...but I am really just guessing.

Thanks,
Carl
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I'm sure that others on here can give good advice on how to fix the area around the holders, but I can definitely recommend using backing plates on the rod holders. Lee's makes them for their holders and from my experience, it definitely strengthens the holder and the area around it.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Make sure that at least the area through which the screws go is thoroughly filled with epoxy so that it cannot compress. Dig out as much of the rotten wood as you can before filling. If you can cut/gouge out the bottom layer of glass and the wood behind it you can fill it and then epoxy on a plywood backer to cover the filler and strengthen the repair. Unfortunately it will continue to rot if any moisture is left in there.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If I read you correctly, you might be able to repair it working from the top. remove the holders. Fashion a tool to dig out as much of the wet wood as possible, as far as you can go. Let it dry out. You can help that out with a hair dryer or heat gun on low. When dry, mix a batch of epoxy (I use the West System for simplicity of batches) with vermiculite which you can get in any plant store or florist. Mix to a fairly stiff consistency and pack into the void as tightly as possible ( I am assuming there is a fiberglass top and something on the bottom). If there is no bottom, create a temporary one covered with waxed paper or Saran wrap so it won't stick. Once the epoxy/vermiculite mixture cures, you can fine seal the exposed areas with a mixture of epoxy and faring compound mixed to a peanut butter consistency. Once that's cured, sand, drill, reinstall, etc. I might reinstall the holders with some bedding compound and some epoxy on my screw holes or better yet, through bolt with backing plates. Walter
Carl

Post by Carl »

walterk wrote:If I read you correctly, you might be able to repair it working from the top. remove the holders. Fashion a tool to dig out as much of the wet wood as possible, as far as you can go. Let it dry out. You can help that out with a hair dryer or heat gun on low. When dry, mix a batch of epoxy (I use the West System for simplicity of batches) with vermiculite which you can get in any plant store or florist. Mix to a fairly stiff consistency and pack into the void as tightly as possible ( I am assuming there is a fiberglass top and something on the bottom). If there is no bottom, create a temporary one covered with waxed paper or Saran wrap so it won't stick. Once the epoxy/vermiculite mixture cures, you can fine seal the exposed areas with a mixture of epoxy and faring compound mixed to a peanut butter consistency. Once that's cured, sand, drill, reinstall, etc. I might reinstall the holders with some bedding compound and some epoxy on my screw holes or better yet, through bolt with backing plates. Walter

Thanks Walter, think this is the way I'd prefer to go.

Yes the area has a glass layer on the top and bottom...the Plywood core between them was wet and rotting. I say was as when the new holders where being installed we found wet wood and pulled out all the wet wood. Then drilled some holes underneath to get some more air in there. Sealed the top so water would not get in. It's been a couple weeks drying and now to finish the repair.

He went with Pompanette holders with the backing plates. All SS, nice holders...
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Tape over or somehow seal the holes you drilled underneath for drying so the epoxy in the epoxy/vermiculite mixture doesn't drip out. I'd put some newspaper or old tarp underneath until it cures.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Oh yeah...you can bet that will be done...thanks again.
Carl