SHRINK WRAP AND IMRON PAINT

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Can I shrink wrap for winter after having my hull sprayed in Sept with Imron?someone at the marina thought you shouldn't for 1 season. txs.......Bill G
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bill
mine was wrapped 4 months after she was sprayed with imron, no problem, just make sure they put some carpet pieces on the corners between the boat and and the shrink wrap
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Do NOT take the chance! My previous marina (who did the paint) ALWAYS taped the shrinkwrap to the underside of the rubrail. They had too many cases of tape damaging paint. My recent marina experiences in three Mile Harbor Marina, where they put a rope around the boat and shrink wrap to the boat, always gives me scuff marks I have to deal with every spring. Anything tucked under the rope to keep it away from the hull has to be completely non-abraisive in nature or it will be the culprit. Walter
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

If your gonna do it (and for what its worth we do every year) make sure that the wrap comes all the way down below the water line. This is how all the painted boats should be handled. No tape on the hull sides/ no plastic rubbing on the hull.

Further once the job is complete install allot of vents on the hull and superstructure, the idea is to keep the hull ventilated so that you get no blisters.

We've had good luck and plan on continuing the practice.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Agree with JP. In addition open everything on th boat before wrapping. Doors, drawers, bilges, lazarettes, nooks crannies, everything. Keep the air moving.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I wrapped the hull in plastic about a couple of months after the hull was painted. It took me far longer to finish painting the topsides than I expected. Over a period of several months water got between the plastic and the hull and blisters developed in a very small area. My boat was painted with Awlgrip though. Just my experience.
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

What do you guys think about wrapping from the rub rail up,by the way thanks for all the comeback.Trying not to have to buy a custom cover or use a tarp.Anybody tried to wrap just the bridge, cabin and cockpit?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

You can wrap the bridge alone. Keep the vents if the boat is painted. You can do the hull. No worries is the hull is well vented.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
gplume

Post by gplume »

Bill-

Mines awl gripped and I shrink wrap myself every year...ok last 3 years. No issues, but I vent well, paricualrly the painted area. See pix below. Note vents below the rub rail.

Giff
coolair

Post by coolair »

Man
that just blows me away yall have to do that up north, just one for expense i guess.