Cummins Questions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Cummins Questions

Post by Harry Babb »

Today it rained all morning so I started putting the wiring harness on my engines.

A couple of things that I am not at all familiar with an would appreciated some help.

First.. The solenoid mounted below the starter....it appears that it should stay energized the entire time the engine is running.....is that correct????

Second.... the Solenoid that is activated by the solenoid mentioned above gets hotter-n blue blazes......is that normal??? (I am talking so hot that it will burn your hand if you grab it, and the 3 wires that energize it also get pretty warm)

Third....The solenoid described in question 2, has 3 wires that operated it. I see that one of those wires (white) actually traces back to solenoid mounted below the starter, another wire is a ground (black) and the third wire is Red....where does it go, what does it do???? (The 3 wire plug in that connects this solenoid to the wiring harness connects the Red wire {in the run solenoid} to a Purple wire in the harness.)

Harry

hb
scot

Post by scot »

Harry,
it appears that it should stay energized the entire time the engine is running.....is that correct????
Yes Harry that's correct. Internally the solenoid has a dual coil set up. The first (primary) coil pulls a bunch of amps retracting the piston and moving the pump to "run"...the secound coil in the unit draws very few amps and maintains the run position.

So, one wire should energize the primary, stronger coil and one should be to energize the weaker secoundary coil.

It would make sense that the wire running to the starter solenoid is the primary coil. It engages when the starter is engaged, the other one should be your "run" coil....which should terminate at your "run-start" key at the helm.

Hope this helps.

Almost forgot...IMHO, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Almost forgot...IMHO, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Let it go............
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

That makes sense and actually explains why the "Run Solenoid" got so hot.....I see Said the Blind Man! ! ! !

There is a wire that goes from the "Starter Relay" (that energizes the Run Solenoid) to the "Starter Solenoid"........I could not understand that wire. So actually the "Starter Relay", mounted just below the starter, is only momentarily activated......makes a lot more sense.

I did not know that the "Run Solenoid" had 2 coils.....I guess one could be called the Pull Coil and the other the Hold Coil....Just as Scot explained.

I think I like the old Detroit system better...spring held the governor in a run position and momentary activating the stop solenoid killed the engine....not sure I like the idea of riding along knowing that if that "Hold Solenoid" failed, for any reason, I'm gonna loose an engine......with my luck it will be in the pass right next to the jettys or while trolling the beach for Spanish and watching bikini's....

BTW......You 2 guys say I'm sorry and get along here ! ! ! ! LOL

Will not get to work on my "Eternal Bertram Project" much today.....My grandson and I will finish building the "Temple of Artemis"....hope to stand the columns and put the roof on today.......thank God we are using a .00468 scale factor. (8th grade World History Project)

Thanks for the help

Harry
hb
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

There are two things outside my home life that are of major importance to me...

Doing anything with my grandson, and working on my boat. In a tie my grandson comes first!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Frank wrote:In a tie my grandson comes first!

Absolutely! ! !

I have 2 children and 5 of dem little granchilrens.......they are all #1 in my life.....and they know all know it.

Actually I believe that grandchildren are a persons reward for not having killed their parents at an early age....LOL

Harry
hb
scot

Post by scot »

OK Bruce, but it was fun while it lasted.

Harry you can set it up with a spring and cable if you like, I have seen some articles and pictures on boatdiesel.com on 6B mechanical "run-stop" cables. But keep in mind that you can replace the solenoid offshore with a tie-wrap and get home if one failed.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Scot
Offshore does not concern me at all....there is always enough fishing string, shoe strings, belts and hat bands available to make that kind of repairs.

What concerns me is near shore engines stalls. One of my pet peaves and rules is that the anchor must be READILY available until we are at least a mile outside of the jettys.....when we are returning from sea I make sure that nothing is blocking access to the anchor while we are making our way thru the pass.

So far I have not had any ememgencys but I have seen a couple of boats on the rocks due to an engine stall and not being able to deploy the anchor in enough time.

I know that this is a little overboard.....okay, way overboard.....but that is just me......

Check ya later

H
hb
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

The wire that goes to the "run" solenoid that is screwed into the bottom of the IP gets 12volts, correct?

I am a little confused with what was mentioned above.

I am wondering if I am misunderstanding about the 2 different wires which were mentioned, 1 of them giving more amps than the other and causing it to get hot.

I thought the run solenoid can get a direct 12volt wire to make it run.

Am I following correctly?

On another note, on the bottom right of the second picture, is that an oil pressure sender or is it some kind of low oil pressure shutdown switch???
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
randall

Post by randall »

harry...hows your hand?

i agree with you and have used the anchor in exactly the way and reason you described. when you have an engine that dosent idle you pay attention to these things.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall, my hand is just fine.....it don't take me long to look at a HOT HORSE SHOE! ! !

It's funny......I have never needed the anchor in an emergency but I remember one time we were sitting on the anchor bottom fishing and drift fishing at the same time. My buddy Jim cast a whole cigar minnow out off of the stbd side of the boat. He must have hit a Wahoo right in the head with the minnow.

As soon as the minnow hit the water his reel (light tackle) just started screaming......freaked out both of us. As I remember the fish was 58" long.

Well what happened next was that the real was loosing line faster than Jim could reel it back. I was trying to pull the anchor but we were in a hundred feet of water and it was not looking good.

Soooooo I grabed a couple of life jackets, tied them to the anchor rope then threw all of the anchor rope overboard......started the engine and chased the Wahoo down. We were down to nearly no line on the "Spinning Reel" when I finally got going.

That was probably the most exciting catch I have ever made.

Then using our Loran we went back to the spot and retreived the anchor.....truth is we were so excited that we forgot the anchor and started home.....after a couple of miles running I remembered my anchor and had to turn around to go get it.

Man we sure have had some good times in the Gulf.....got to get back out there......really looking forward to taking my two oldest grandsons out and hooking them up with a 20 pound King Mackrel.....then just sit back and enjoy the entertainment...

Harry
hb