Hydraulic steering

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Redrum Sportfishing

Hydraulic steering

Post by Redrum Sportfishing »

I am refitting a 31' bertram with twin 270HP cummins engines, this is a 73 bertram. Looking for info on what the right hydraulic steering system would be?

Thanks
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Redrum

I am just about finished with my 75 with the same engines. Just dropped it in the water. You are going to love it. Unfortunately I don't have all the wiring done so the GPS is not hooked up yet, so I can not give you the cruise numbers.

For the steering I put the Sea Star in. Cylinder number is HC5314
Helm Pump is HH5271 and the hose is HO51. Steering fluid is the HA5430 which is the Sea Star Fluid.

If you need the larger rudders talk with Capt. Pat. The larger rudders are really sweet. Boat runs great on one engine. Turns withour any problems.

In fact I am running light with no tower and I can get up on a plane with one engine. Props are DQX 20x23 with about a 3 cup. We are going to tweek it over the winter. We are about 200 RPMS over the rated 2600. We figure we will pick up a little more speed with a little more cup.

Good Luck.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I am sure you will get specific recommendations but I am afraid you don't have too many options any more. Hydnautic, who was the leader was purchased by Teleflex (a Canadian Company now) and my personal experiences with them on a thing needed to repair my system bordered on the impossible. Multiple Long distance calls to a recording machine were never answered. Thank God for this site. I was told of Charman Industries in the midwest who responded immediately, solved my problem, and replaced my needed part in a matter of days. There is another brand whose name escapes me right now (oops- Sea Star), but unless there has been a major improvement in the service structure of Teleflex, I would opt for any brand but theirs. Walter
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Hey John welcome to the Bertram sandbox! You will find an incredible knowledge base here, just ask and those who have lived it, loved it and learned it will be a world of help!

looks like you already got some great tips.

See you in Cabo in a few weeks for the tournament!

Mark

By the way they can help with your 33' el Nuevo as well. This site is not limited to 31's!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The SeaStar works fine....I've installed 3 systems myself with zero problems. Get Capt. Patrick's oversize rudders too - they are worth every dime, in spades.

UV
Redrum Sportfishing

Post by Redrum Sportfishing »

UV,

Can you tell me about the oversize rudders from Capt. patrick, this is a complete rebuild so i am just putting everything together at this time.

Thanks

PJ
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
John F.

Post by John F. »

Capt. Patrick's oversized rudders are probably the best thing I've done for my B31. I can low-speed (2.5 knots) steer on one motor, where I couldn't with the stock rudders, and at cruising speeds she turns alot sharper. If I were doing it again, it'd be the first improvement I'd make.

John F.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

PJ - follow Patrick's link and I just responded to your PM....these rudders are a no brainer - the one upgrade every B31 must have regardless of power....a simple drop in retrofit that changes the whole character of the boat steering-wise. And autopilots love them too....mine used to "hunt" some regardless of how I set the sensitivity but with the oversize rudders its on rails now....and they are build like the proverbial brick shithouse....Katrina bashed AJ around inside a building with 14 feet of water in it and deposited her on a concrete floor, on the ruddersand they did not suffer a scratch, much less get bent.....

Go with the Capt. Patrick rudders, a no brainer in my book.

UV