Regulations on New Fuel Tanks?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jrwolfe

Regulations on New Fuel Tanks?

Post by jrwolfe »

I am about to change the fuel tank in my B28. I am confused about Coast Guard certification. Is there such a thing? Does the fabricator need to be certified or does the Coast Guard certify the tank after it has been made? I assume the Coast Guard has specifications for tanks, if so, is it ok to just have the tank made to Coast Guard specs? If anybody can clearify this for me I would appreciate it. I am leaning towards getting a stainless steel tank if that makes a difference. Thanks
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

JR

Stainless can not be used if you charter. I don't remember the name of the outfit, but there was one builder who was talked about in earlier posts, I would say about two years ago.

Maybe someone will remember the name of the outfit that made the stainless tanks. Otherwise do a search.

If you are in the NJ area and want aluminum try Patriot in Forked River. I have not used them but I know people who have and they were very satisfied.
jrwolfe

Post by jrwolfe »

I have a fabricator who has had years of working with stainless steel. He has not made fuel tanks for the marine industry so he is not Coast Guard certified if there is such a thing.
What I hope to learn is "What certification if any we have to worry about". With all of the tanks previously replaced I had hoped someone would have info that would be helpful.

Thanks for the response. JW
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

JW....

You might try posting this question on the www.bertram33.com forum.. there has been a lot of talk about this subject there, as well as here.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Harv

Post by Harv »

I beleive the company was Nautec, but I can no longer access them online.
Harv
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Harv,

I sent them an email a while back and they came back and said that they were no longer making fuel tanks for marine use.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

A couple of us with the B33s got the tanks from Doug at Nautic Marine. I believe there was only one after us that got a tank from him. He was just getting into a minimum two year contract with Carnival cruise lines doing a lot of custom SS fabrication on the cruise ships.
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al