non-skid repair

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

non-skid repair

Post by coolair »

Hey,
i dont know if yall have seen this before, i just discovred it the other day and seems pretty cool to me, i know i have a few spots on my engine covers that need fixing, the problem is i dont know which pattern to use, i guess they can tell you if you call.

http://www.masepoxies.com//Videos/NON_SKID_REPAIR.html
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

The video clip shows them repairing a Bertram 31.. so they already know which pattern you should order.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I need that!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I have essentially stopped using West Epoxy and shifted over to MAS Epoxy.

I have called both companies on occasion, and have received good info and assistance from each. I believe Capt Pat when he says all epoxies are pretty much the same, and certainly West has a broad following, probably larger than MAS Epoxy has today.

After reading a MAS Epoxy ad in an online boating magazine I decided to buy some of their products and found them to be somewhat lower in price than West, but they were only available then from Boater's World, not at West Marine (no relationship between the two companies). When BW went belly up West Marine started selling MAS Epoxy.

There are two differences between the two companie's products, one small and one very important.

The West resins and hardeners are sold in metal containers, the MAS Epoxy products are all sold in plastic. The West hardeners over time undergo some type of chemical reaction I assume with the metal can, which causes the material to turn a reddish brown. I don't know if this effects any of the cured material's properties, but it looks bad when you first pump the hardener from the can.

The major difference that caused me to "standardize" on MAS Epoxy is that their epoxies, when hardened, have no amine blush.

BTW.. I have found what I believe is a test to determine if there is amine blush on a cured epoxy surface. Touch it with the tip of your tongue.. If amine blush is present you will know it instantly.. it tastes awful!

Just my opinion.. for whatever you think it is worth.
Frank B
--------------
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Used that stuff on my whole new deck.. I like it & has held up fine.. 18 mos so far.
Wayne
coolair

Post by coolair »

Wayne,
After i say the video i was thinking, man i want to do my whole deck that way, then i serched the server and found your pics, it looks great! i was wondering how it held up, oh and what was the deck core made out of?
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

That's something I don't want to see,
A grown man on his hands and knees, licking boat decks and saying,
" Yeuk, that tastes reel bad"
Ian.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

they are re-selling Gibco flex molds, at MUCH higher prices.

Buy direct from Gibco and save yourself a TON of money.

Regardless- it will not match up to your boxes, the skid on your boxes have worn down over time, the new stuff will be much higher.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Ian...

Your comment reminds me of a story, but I definitely can't repeat it here. Maybe the next time I am in the UK I will look you up and tell it to you in one of your local pubs over a pint or two!
Frank B
--------------
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

IRGuy,you're more than welcome,
I need to meet some of you guys.
I'm not sure I wnt to hear the story tho!!!!!!!
Ian.