New Risers and Manifolds

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hueso

New Risers and Manifolds

Post by Hueso »

That time has come............need new risers and manifolds for my 454 Crusaders.............mechanic said he will use the "modern ones"....

My question is: how much is a reasonable price to pay for these parts to "modernize" my twins? A rough estimate is enough.

Thanks for the help
John F.

Post by John F. »

Check, but I think EBasic Power and Larry's Lighthouse/Parts-man (online places) have sets for 454s for about $600. That's manifolds, risers, gaskets. At somebody's suggestion, I got Mercruiser exhaust mani. gaskets instead of the after-market ones.

By modern, I guess your mech. is referring to center-risers. That'll take a little plumbing/hose work--just a little though.

John F.
randall

Post by randall »

i thought crusaders had fresh water cooled manifolds. how much time do they have on them?
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

J:

He said it will improve water circulation through the engine....and will create more space on the sides of the engine, therefore it could be center risers......the mech. is shopping around for prices and he will not charge me more than he will pay for them.....only labor hours

R:

Yes, there are fresh water cooled manifolds and there is a conversion kit ....have not done it........manifolds and risers are 6 years old....bit clogged.....one of the engines was rising temp in neutral.....new impellers and still the same....time to change them......life expectancy is 5 I don't want BIG BILL chasing me later on......
John F.

Post by John F. »

If you currently have raw water cooled manifolds/motors, then I can see why the manifolds are going after 5 years. My mercs have closed cooled manifolds, and raw water is dumped in the risers after going through the heat exchangers. Closed cooled manifolds should last more than 5 years I think...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If you go with center riser type and you had the traditional Crusader manifolds, your exhaust hose probably will come up short.

Make sure you account for that.
scot

Post by scot »

Don't forget to check Ebay. It's not uncommon to find a set of new-surplus risers at 1/2 price.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Hueso

The Aftermath

Post by Hueso »

After four new manifolds, risers and 2,000 high end dollars, the cause of my B31's "white" smoke was a broken down impeller.......which by the way were installed "new" on April of this year. Although it was time to change the manifolds and risers..........as my father (a civil engineer) used to say........."always begin with the cheapest part"........
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hueso....I have a 69 Corvette. Not long after I bought it I decided to rebuild the engine to get rid of a small nagging vibration.

I even went so far as to have the rotating assembly balanced.....vibration was still there......

The vibration was the FAN

What's done is done.....you can feel good for a few years now that you will not ruin an engine because of manifolds and risers.....have a beer and catch a fish and you will feel better tomorrow

Harry
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Ahh it's only money...

Manifolds may have lasted a bit more , but it was getting to the time the risers needed to be changed. So your a little ahead and can start the clock all over again.