Labor Intensive Mistake, how to reduce the labor?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Matt K

Labor Intensive Mistake, how to reduce the labor?

Post by Matt K »

Hi All,

I built a custom center console for my Bertram 25 out of mahogany and then finished it with 4 coats of standard west systems epoxy and then 7 coats of interlux varnish with the extra UV inhibitors. After 4 months or so I'm getting random patches where the epoxy is yellowing below the varnish and I'm not happy about having to redo the work because of the labor involved.

My plan was to seal all the wood with Epoxy and then provide protection for the epoxy with several layers of varnish. When I did the finishing work I made sure that I did it all indoors in a room where I kept the shades down so I did not yellow the epoxy before I got several coats of varnish on it. So I did take steps to avoid the yellowing.

So at this point am I screwed? sand everything off and then start from scratch. I got the finish pretty good the first time (not Capt Pat level, but I can see my reflection clearly) and I spent an enormous amount of time doing it. Are there ways to cheat?

advice?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Might look good in gloss white...... The only good varnish job is one that has been painted over. I'ze not a fan of varnish, period.

UV
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

West has a special coatings hardener which is recommended for clear coating. I suspect you may have needed to use #207 hardener. It comes with some UV stabilizer in it.
If the epoxy is truly yellowing then your choices are only 2.
1. Pick a color and paint it.
2. Sand it all down and refinish.

When my partner did the CHIMERA's back bulkhead he decided to use all good quality UV varnishes. He paints high end for a living so I trust his judgement. He also did the fighting chair, its a piece of furniture now as will be the bulkhead when we are re-assembled.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"