Transom Rod Holder Spacing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CatEquipt

Transom Rod Holder Spacing

Post by CatEquipt »

Installing 2 rod holders in the transom and was wondering how to space them. Any recommendations?
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

I recommend finding the center point of the transom, then spliting the difference between the gunnels on each side would be my suggestion.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Garry

Post by Garry »

Depends on how you plan to use them. If bottom fishing go with Doug's recommendation. If you plan to use them for trolling then place them where the baits will be in the cleanest part of the wake which will depend on your trolling speed.

Garry
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Capt DQ is right. The only thing I could add is if you are not sure about the exact spot wait and take your time before you start to drill it out. If the holes are not perfect with the holders in them it will look funny from the dock and you will always see it every time you get on. I speak from screwwing it up myself.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

One other thing is if you have a inside transom panel, your rod holders are probaly going to be the straight up holders, not the 30 degree holder because of the panel.

Garry is right, depends on what your planning on doing. If trolling baits or lures they are going to be in the middle of the spread or farther back, just to the outside of the prop wash anyway in that position.

If you use downriggers that works for you also, put your rod in the transom holder & your downrigger on the gunnel holder. Mine are there in that position because it works well for whatever fishing I need to do.
Hope that helps you.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

You can get the 15 degree medium Lee's in the transom with the panels. The trick is to move the hole as far aft as possible without the flange hanging over the gunnel.

Good Luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Mack

Post by Mack »

I did exactly as previously recommended using the Lee 15 degree holders (just look at the transome angle). Works perfectly.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I removed the flag holder from the center of the transom and put in a Lee's 15degree holder in it's place. For some reason though, my transom panel was close to the transom and I still had to cut part of the panel to make the rod holder fit in place. Not too terrible overall, and with my chair and 4 flat line clips, gives me 5 lines off the stern. Double rigged outriggers for another 4 lines giving me a total of 9 lines in the water at one time. Also 2 downrigger mounts on the corners if I want to throw 2 more or 2 of the above down deep.

MAKES A NICE SPREAD!!!!!
Harv
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Do you have a chair or fighting post? If so, space 'em out toward the gunnels a little. If not, try three or four spaced across the transom. I troll flatlines out of the transom rod holders. I used rod holders with no angle in the transom. On Storm petrel, I stopped using my outriggers. We routinely fish ELEVEN lines, using only the center rigger!

A good friend of mine bought a boat (38 Luhrs) with no outriggers. He could not get any put on by the time the Tri-state Canyon Shootout began. We fished without them. Fishing 11 rods, we stopped keeping tuna after we had twenty in the boat.

Get the very best rod holders you can afford, such as Lee's. Don't forget backing plates! good luck!
Steve
scot

Post by scot »

Speaking of rod holders, Can anyone suggest a cleaner that will get the black crap off from down inside a Lee holder. The "white don't stay white very long!" I think I have tried everything, beach..Simple Green...etc.

Thanks,
Scot
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0