Tred Barta needs our help!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Tred Barta needs our help!

Post by IRGuy »

I have read here on occasion comments that some of you have met Tred Barta in person, and I suspect many of you have heard of him. He had a regular column on the back page of Sport Fishing magazine, and is a well known and somewhat controversial sportsman. If you don't know of him the following will tell you something about him and his present situation.

His last column was in the August 2009 issue of the above magazine. At the end of it there was an editor's note that went as follows.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"On his way to Alaska to tape his TV show, Tred barta suffered a rare occurance called a spinal stroke. He is currently paralyzed from just below his chest down. His prognosis remained up in the air as this issue was going to press. His message to everyone: "Don't take a single second of your life for granted". Send him best wishes at tredbarta@bartaiso.com."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I sent him an email note of encouragement. Yesterday I received the following note....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friend:

My name is Garson Fields and Tred Barta and I have been close friends for
more than forty years. We went to school together, were on the US Biathlon Team together, have travelled extensively together, raised our families together and, well... you get the picture.

Tred has been one of the pioneers of fishing “The Canyons” off Long Island, been a leading advocate of “catch and release” fishing and hunting with long bow and homemade arrows. He has spent most of his adult life promoting youth participation in both hunting and fishing while emphasizing sportsmanship along with responsible stewardship principles.

Over the past 20 years, Tred has raised close to $2,000,000 to help
underprivileged youngsters participate in these sports. All of this he has
done the “Barta Way,” never the easy way.

Today, Tred needs the help of all of his friends and fans.

As most of you know, Tred has suffered a spinal stroke, (transverse
myelitis, which is very rare) leaving him paralyzed from the chest down.
What most of you don’t know is that this stroke was probably caused by
another very rare disease Tred has, a blood cancer called Waldenström’s
(Waldenström’s macroglobulienemia to be precise).

As you can imagine, the cost of Tred’s hospitalization and treatment for
both conditions and future rehabilitation is enormous. His medical insurance covers only a fraction of the total expenses. So I am asking you to join me and Tred’s and Anni’s other friends and supporters to help this important sportsman -- who has given so much to so many -- by giving Tred a contribution to help him heal.

Two organizations have been established to receive your donations and
contributions: Anni & Tred Barta Medical Fund at Wells Fargo Bank, PO Box
567, Eagle, CO 81631, Account #:8990-772-827; Phone: 970-328-6361. Or a tax deductible contribution can be made for Tred Barta at the Vail Valley Charitable Fund, PO Box 1275, Avon, CO 81620, 970-926-9795. Or donate directly online by credit card at www.vvcf.org. Again be sure to note for Tred Barta. All proceeds will go directly towards Tred’s medical expenses.

Tred needs the help from your contributions. Many hands make the load
easier, so every little bit helps Tred reach his goal to recovery as
quickly as possible.

I talk to Tred and Anni daily and I assure you that they are attacking this
challenge the “Barta Way” and Tred, Anni and I sincerely appreciate your
kindness and generosity and thank you whole-heartedly for your help.

Sincerely,

Garson Fields
Friend of Tred
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to send a check myself, and just wanted you to know his situation
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!