calling coolair

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

calling coolair

Post by JohnCranston »

coolair,
I see that you're close by us. Where do you keep your boat? What are the stats on her and is she up and running? Not trying to pry but we have quite a few Bertrams in Freeport and would like to introduce Pam and myself, and if you need something, let us know.
713-906-0842
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
coolair

Post by coolair »

John
Thanks, its good to know a few people down here that have 31s. Where is your boat?
Right now shes is at galveston yacht basin, its a 1969 FBC with chrysler(ford)460s, pretty much bare bones original, bought here from a poor guy in Massachusetts who worked for a chevy dealership. He took good care of her, I am just slowly going through her adding stuff, and updating, tryin to enjoy it alittle this summer, and work on her more this winter. She runs pretty good, after we did the bottom and props she runs really nice at a top end of like 36mph. There are quite a few 31s down in freeport, the bullet comes to mind as a nice one for sale. I honestly only know of one other 31 at GYB and its on the hard still screwed up from ike, the brand x was down from me, but shes sold now too. Be and my buddy are thinking about movin to freeport, but it is nice to run 30-45mins to galveston and hop on.
Kinda wishing we had one of those big get to gethers like they have up north. I dont know why i didnt notice you were from spring,
Thanks again
Matt
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
Give me a call sometime, we'll get together and talk boats. My best friend, Ed Tovar, lives in S. Houston and keeps his b 26 at my place in Freeport, so we're back and forth quite a bit.
coolair

Post by coolair »

John
sounds good, my office is in south houston. He doesnt live kinda across form hobby does he? i dont know him but there is a guy that has what a thought was a 28 on a trailer, maybe it was his 26 last i checked it wasnt at the house though
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
He lives onRuthsby st. very close to Hobby. The boat has a small tower and twin Evinrudes...I think kind of a rare bert...I think that I just made a funny.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Yep that's the one, I didn't know it was in freeport, you don't own miffco do you?
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
No, another John owns it, but, Leon Miller, was the original owner and that's who I bought my 31 hull from 11 years ago. Leon's a retired air traffic controller who I haven't talked to in several years. Reel Cowboy was named Quick Silver when I bought her...do you remember the boat?
coolair

Post by coolair »

John
I know leon, haven't seen him in a long while. he redid a couple litte boats for my dad a while back, my office is across the street from john(miffco). I think leons still on nebraska st. Last I heard he was doing more. Sir traffic stuff and less fiberglass but I don't know. I don't remmebr seeing his 31 though
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
Small world. Leon bought Quick Silver from O.J. Young and Leon only had her for a little while. You guys give me a call next time you want to go down and check out Freeport. I'm there most weekend and pretty much stay there all winter and spring. Ed got into the kings 5 miles out yesterday.
coolair

Post by coolair »

I dont know OJ young, or the boat. last boat i saw leon with wasnt a 31 it was a trailer boat in front of his office, what are the specs on her?
I will give yall a buz, i havent staid in freeport in a long time, my budy owns a house at the end of shark ln, used to spend many of high school nights partying and fishing down there. I also know a guy named corky, he has a 31 center console cat called toro(bought it from my buddy).
coolair

Post by coolair »

John
my biggest problem i have had so far is coming up with a name, was gonna name it after my wife "whit's end" but shes kinda pissed me off latly haha so maybe not
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
Wow! I know Corky. He's best friends with my next door neighbor, Joe Luycx. Joe also has a Ocean Master 31 that he keeps real nice. We live in Hide away on the Gulf down there. Cool name for your boat, I'd go for it. I have a 70 bahia mar 31 that's been re-done from the stringers up so far with 315 new Yanmars. We're done with the glass and paint work and about half way done with the rigging. She's on a trailer now but will be moved onto our cradle lift behind the house.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Ya
I meet corky through my budy that sold him toro, i was looking at the glacier bay he has in is front yard, but decied on a 31 instead. Sound like a sweet boat, I know if Leon had anything todo with it, its done right
My dad saw him a week or 2 ago but didnt talk to him,
coolair

Post by coolair »

John
I forgot if you said your boat was at bridge harbor, if it is do you know what the slips run there? My budy and I are talking about moving to freeport, GYB just ist doing all that great anymore.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
I don't know what slips are renting for now over in Bridge Harbor, but, I know that they have slips available. You might want to look at Kirby's marina over on Oyster Creek. Our sub division is right down the street from their. It's about 5 miles from the jetties and quite a bit cheeper than B.H. There's also a new marina in Freeport, but, I don't know the name or anything else about it.
Maybe Daniel will chime in and give some more info on what's available.
coolair

Post by coolair »

John,
where did you get your fuel tank built at, and how many gallons where you able to get?
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
I had LLC 31 make a 270 gal tank about 6 years ago. It came out nice. It's made out of fiberglass, so you'll probably want to go another route. Come on down to Freeport and take a look.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Ya I am going to have to. this weekend was just perfect, and i didnt even get to run the boat, took a little cruise on my buddies, and cause of kidos didnt even get to catch a few flounder, and plenty of people were.
Ya at this point i dont think i am going with glass, just to much money, and what happens if we go to e15 or something else, will the new resin hold up to it too?? who is llc 31? cabrera? i can get a 231g aluminum tank for $2081.00 but i want to go more if i can, but a bahi mar deck is higher right?
If i build it my self or have a local welder do it, it will be even less, just not cost guard approved, so IDK still up in the air about the tank and the deck,
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
The deck heights seem to be about the same. I heard that the older models were a bit lower...don't really know the truth on that one. You must be having issues with your tank now? Right ? The flounder run should be getting close to ramping up. I need an invite to come over to the Yacht Basin and catch my new 2 fish limit.
coolair

Post by coolair »

I know, 2 fish!!!!!!!!!!
but you can not fish at the basin unless you are on your own boat! cant go to the wall anymore unless you go via boat.
I fortunatly have not had any problems yet! but i am just thinking i need to go a head and bight the bullet on this and do it.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Coolair,
I was on the phone with Cranston a bit ago and he thought this may interest you. Credit Capt Patrick for pointing it out to me, as I was unaware of this as well. Per the Captain this is the way to go.

Be well,
Mark

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are a FRP Fuel Tank Manufacturer. Our Company "Polytech Inc." is the Fuel Tank Supplier for some company of Ferretti Group and for the gasoline tank we receve the orders through Richard Kidd and HighTide Marine, sometimes the potencial costumers call the wrong departament in our company, for that reason I want to clarify the information.

The people interested in questions about Gasoline and Diesel Tanks can call directly to our engineer departament.

Contact Name:
Manuel Romero
Dachel Miqueli
(ph) 305 691 9093x300

mromero@polyumac.com

engineering@polyumac.com
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
coolair

Post by coolair »

thank mark, cool stuff i saw those tanks on high tide but like i said over 4k i am gonna call them tomorrow see what they say
matt
coolair

Post by coolair »

JohnCranston

John is in Freeport - so I am answering for him

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt

John does not know this boat. No computer in Freeport so I am reading it to him over the phone. Says stay with your 31.

Pam
coolair

Post by coolair »

LOL
Thanks Pam, tell john dont worry i am not geting rid of my 31 for a long long time.

I was just looking at maybe the next project. as if i dont have evough to do now haha
thanks again
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

John says that you can come help him with some of his projects. That would be blessing me, I can share!!!

Pam
coolair

Post by coolair »

haha,
ya i should, and then he can come help me with mine. I still got to get my deck off!!! and tank out!!!