Cleaning Running Gear

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JC

Cleaning Running Gear

Post by JC »

What is the correct procedure for cleaning the running gear underwater??? My mates want to use wet sandpaper but I told them I am afraid they will oversand props and shafts. Was thinking of a 3M green scrubber used to clean dishes???

Thanks for the help...

JC
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

I use a super fine sand sponge sold in K-mart and Walmart. I believe 3M makes them. Remember "super fine". It's great.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Cleaning shafts

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Here in Texas our water generally has enough grit in it to clean the shafts by just running the boat. If not, we run it aground in some good mucky sand and spend some time rocking it out. Especially great for cleaning props.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Carl

Post by Carl »

If the boats in the water, its all gonna be wet sanding.

120 grit emery strips will work just fine. By the time you get from one end to the other the cloth will have broken down enough to give a nice polish.

You could sand that shaft till your arms fell off before and probly still not remove enough materail to do any harm. I am assuming we are talking A-22 Shafting. However I would not touch the tapered area.

I found a good stiff wire brush in a drill works much faster knocking all the crud that may have built up, quick pass with emery and it is a day.
JC

Post by JC »

Thanks Sim. Yes the boat is inside the water all the time. Yes I have Aquamet 22 so that should be no problem. =) I am more worried about the props as I dont want to unbalance them... would the 120 grit wet sandpaper be ok on the props??

JC
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The balance on the wheels isn't that tender. You'd be hard pressed to throw a wheel out of kilter by sanding it by hand. Use the scotch brite pads, they hold up well in the water. Med or fine whatever you think is harsh enough.
Your mates got a pony bottle or they holdin their breathe, its alot of scrubbing just to get the slime off.
Don't worry you won't scrub the wheels out of balance.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"