Overspray & Racor ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Overspray & Racor ?

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Had trouble finding the Finesse without running all over town so got some McGuires #9 Swril Remover and called their tech people. They said it was about the same as Finesse, so gave it a try. By hand it did nothing to the heavier overspray. Used the orbital buffer with a terry pad. Slow, slow, slow removal. Then tried some old 3M Fiberglass Cleaner & Wax I had used on the hull gelcoat of the B20 and it did the trick with the buffer - took the overspray off pretty quickly and left a high gloss shine.

Question for the Faithful - I have Racor 500s on AJ and one of them has been retrofitted with a petcock screwed into the bottom of the bowl to drain the bowl, and works great. The other one has the original plasic two pc. valve and is leaking and all boogered up. I want to replace the plastic valve with a brass petcock like the other one and need to know what thread is in the plastic bowl. Last week when I had the plastic one out in my hand during filter change it looked pretty coarse like a NPT.

Looks like some bad weather swirling up in the Gulf heading this way.....

UV
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

UV,
I thought I gave you a new replacement bowl assembly some months ago(?).
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
RussP

Post by RussP »

UV,
I just changed out my 900's to the petcoks. Racor has a direct replacment and it comes with the seals. I had to change out the plastic bowls as they were old and devolped hair line cracks and split when it screwed in.

I could pick one up @ wholesale from Lewis Marine and bring it to FLL. if you like.

Cheers,
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
In Memory of Vicroy

Russ, that would be great, thanks. Andre - I found the new bowl, but it has a different plastic drain & I want to use a petcock vs. the plastic deal. How about lunch? Capt. Brent was talking about eating cut bait today.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,

Have you got Racor 500's on your 6bta's? Didn't think those puppy's were big enough.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
In Memory of Vicroy

Doug - yeah, I have the 500s. 900s would be better, but with the Algae X units the 500s do fine. I can usually get a ytear out of an element.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Tony Athens said NA-NA on those, I went with the dual stage filters on mine. I have Alage-X unit's going on mine also.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
JC

Post by JC »

I had problems with the 500's on my 6btas....premature clogging, starvation, etc.... upgraded to two multi stage filtration as per TOny Athens recomendations.....

0 Problems and boat seems to run with les smoke...

JC
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

How would the newer Racors cut down on smoke? Walter
Ric

Post by Ric »

U.V I to have been running the racor 500 series and i have not encountered any problems . I usually (allways) change them out at 100 hours,,,I have not had any trouble with anything connected to those racors,,I also run algae x