Steyr repower sea trial

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Steyr repower sea trial

Post by Kevin »

Sea trialed the B28 today. Wind was 15 to 20 down here in the keys. Pretty sloppy. The 212 hp Steyr's did well. ZF 45 gears with 1.5's and 1 1/8 shafts. Props are 17 15 three blades. Stock set up on the running gear. We had full tank of fuel, six people onbaord, 5 batterries, all my tools and boat building junk, all of Tim the Technician"s tools, and lots of other junk that has accumulated while the boat was at the yard. I would say a much heavier load than normal. In the sea conditions we had our top speed was 24 kts at slightly less than the max rpm. Max is 4300 and we hit right around 4000 RPM. Motors still only have about 4 hours on them. Listening to the turbos injest air is like music to my ears. These are some smooth running motors. I will post some more on the performance as time goes on and I lighten the boat to a more realistic weight. Looks like the old girl will make the boat show after all. For now I have a S#%! eating grin on my face. Hats off to all the people affiliated with Steyr. Regards, Kevin
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Congratulations Kevin. You'll be a happy camper now with those new Diesels. Hear a lot of good things about those Steyr's. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
lore

Post by lore »

what is the cruise speed ? what about fuel consumption ? Why did you choose steyr instead of yanmar?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Lore,
Right now Kevin is in the middle of putting the boat back together to display at the Lauderdale show.
Before the diesels went in, he was in the middle of redoing the boat anyway.

Final figures will most likley be made on the way up to Lauderdale.

One of the reasons for going to Steyr was reusing the original running gear of 1-1/8 shafts.
Kevin had been talking to me for a while about engines.

Coupled with the deep discount they gave him, plus the running gear savings, it was a cheap install, relatively speaking.

Kevin I believe took a leap of faith on my recommendation of the engines also and what I saw at the dealers meeting in July.

When Steyr was talking about the boat show last July at the meeting, they were looking at various boats.
None came thru and they were scrambling to find a boat to repower or already done to display.

The ones done were not available and I had put out a hellava deal for a local with no takers.

Kevin contacted me, but him being in the Keys with no engines, the tow charge would have been rediculous to get it to me.

Steyr setup a Marathon dealer and I put Kevin together with them and the job got done quickly.

I think it was a good thing cause Steyr sent their application guy to help with the repower and they learned alot that will help them in the future.

Anytime a manufacturer/dist can get their hands in the mix, they come out better understanding the customers needs.

I/m sure after Kevin puts the boat back together, he'll post some more positive figures.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bruce pretty much summed it up for me, which is good because I am pressed for time.
Got rid of a lot of wieght over the past couple days. Took it for a spin after work just to get some hours on it. I have roughtly six hours on the engines. The tank was full when I started. No fuel gauge yet but should be almost full. Figure at least 130 140 gallons. With just me and the old lady and most of my tools we made about 23kts at 3300 rpm which is what Steyr states the average cruise rpm to be. Still have 5 batteries on board, 3 of which are in the head, ie storage closet. Most of my tools are scattered about the cabin area, ie the work bench. I have spool of 5/8 line up un the v berth. I pressume I am still slighty heavy in the bow in comparrison to replacing all the junk with people, ice and beer in the cockpit. I think these boats ride better with weight aft as far as speed goes. The max rpm is 4300. I am hitting right around 4000 rpm at 27.5 kts. Steyr said that is ok for now and we will prop it after the boat show and some hours have been put on the engines.
Still have a lot of work to do just to get the boat halfway presentable. As long as it is not next something Captain Pat built I should be ok. With any luck I will be docked next to Bayliner.
Mine will be the 28 without a name on the back. Yes, I have had the boat for over a year and a half and still have not decided on a name. When it is on blocks I guess naming the boat goes to bottom of list. Kevin
lore

Post by lore »

It seems that you are getting very interesting figures. I have gas merc. 260 on my B28 and I get more or less the same cruise speed that you get at the same RPM. Just one more question. How comes that your diesel steyr's RPMs are very simiar to those of a gas engine ? Should they not be less? I would love to be at the Lauderdale show and see your boat but for me it is a little bit far away.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

lore,
See this thread for more Steyr information.

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... ruce+steyr
lore

Post by lore »

thanks Bruce. Here in Italy Steyir is not a vey popular brand among diesels. AIFO, Cummins, Volvo and Yanmar are the most commun