Alchemy update

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Alchemy update

Post by Dug »

I visited the boat with a surveyor/adjuster today, to confirm the level of repairs that will be necessary. Based on some of the other estimates I have recieved for other work (port strut backing pad, bottom cleaning, etc.) I thought the yard was creative in the other area of my repairs as well.

Long story short, the damage report is as follows after my collision with the underwater log.

Bent strut, bent shaft, and bent prop (mildly on the prop). There was a crack just aft of the backing pad to the strut, and the pad had seperated from the hull. It was not a factory original backing pad.

The hull material is delaminated and has a different color from the rest of the material around it, signifying that area will need to be cut out of the boat and replaced, as described in Patrick's Classic Bertram Strut repair methology. Hence the size of the repair estimate.

The strut has been straightened as have the shaft and prop.

The only thing I am not really happy about is that the surveyor did not think the transmission needed to be evaluated. He felt it was a judgement call, and that it was not warranted. I still feel it is, and will discuss this with the insurance company.

That is where we stand at this point. And it looks like I will be rebuilding the port backing pad myself...

I appreciate all the help, input and patience on this board, as always!!!!!

Dug
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Dug,

I hate that you're having to deal with all this expense and heartburn, but a lesser boat would probably have sunk. At least it happened late in the season and not in May. Keep us posted....and good luck with the transmission issue.

Tommy
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

I really KNOW what you're going through, Dug. I didn't have the strut or backing plate problems but my trans is in Florida for evaluation and rebuild (read "replace") due to stripped damper plate. Seems that there aren't a lot of guys that will work on "vintage" transmissions in the Northeast! One shaft and cutless replacement and both props being reworked as I type this.
Now for the trans and arguing with the insurance company.
Tommy is right. (Not Timmy...Tommy!) A lot of other boats would be on the bottom. We're lucky we have excellent taste in boats!
Hoping we both get back in the water for a couple of striper trips before winter haul.
Jerry
Jerry, Triton II