Insulation Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hyena Love

Insulation Question

Post by Hyena Love »

Of course, never used insulation before. Hyenas are loud by nature, and without mufflers, some folks (mostly Bayliner owners) thought the Hyena was diesel.

New deal these days. Obviously, going to do the hatch bottoms, and was planning on doing the front and rear bulkheads.

What do I do with all the crap hanging off the bulkheads -pumps, filters, steering res, switches, and whatnot? Insulate around them or remove, insulate, and then install over the insulation? If the later, what in general is the technique? Build some sort of 1 or 2 inch thick attachment points/feet for each item? If so, out of what?

Not planing on doing the hull side or under the engines, but I am going under the wings outboard of the engines. Soundown. Using 2 inch where possible, 1 inch for the rest.

Thanks in advance.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Like at the TSL, just get a box of earplugs and forget about it. Hyenas ain't worth the trouble anyway.......

yo Fren'

UV
RussP

Post by RussP »

Ernest,
I would start with the hatches and wings first & see if it helps, which it will. Insulating the bulkheads probably won't help in the cockpit. I just did my engine boxes and it made a huge difference.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

instead of wasting your time insulating, why not just upgrade to the bayliner????
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Vic - I am making it into a cocktail cruiser. No more of these early mornings, all nights, cleaning up bloody messes, or finishing second at B31 tourneys. No sir. Its the cruiser's life for me.

Frank S. on the CD player, that warm inviting Texas Summer breeze in my hair, and a cockpit full of over served yankees talking about Hattercraps, "Oh really, the food is so much better in NYC," and stories of psycho's from up East that talk smack faster than their garbage truck engines spew oil.

Sounds like heaven.
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Now we know what you mean is the chowda is better in Boston, specially on a hot summer day wearing your Tony Hawk Gangsta shorts, drinkin Sam Adams and talking about pimpin the hattercrap
Capt. Mike Holmes

Insulation

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Ernest, are the Yanmars that loud? Maybe you should ride with me and my unmufflered Cummins first. I put 2 inch Soundown under the engine hatches and on the cabin bulkheads because I got it free, put 1" on the inside of the hull outboard on the genset, and also inside the cockpit panel where the genset intake runs. I would think your engines would be quiet enough for 1" to work - the 2" stuff is awfully heavy.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
capy

Post by capy »

Ernest,

Sealling any air flow from the hatches and baffling the air intakes gives the most sound reduction for the buck. The more surface covered with insulation..the quieter it will be.

Remove the hangers and attachment points and slide the soundown behind the wiring and hardware. Once the insulation is attached, re install the wiring and hardware. Filter brackets and other large hardware wil compress the insulation and degradew it's efficiency, when I installed it in my 31, I cut out holes for any large brackets so as not to compress the insulation.

My oil slingin dumptruck motors went from 95 db on the flybridge to 65 db.

the cockpit went from 110 db dow to 80.......but I also installed some really large mufflers as well.

Timmy's right...the chowda is better in boston but thats about all that is......
Hyena Love

Thanks

Post by Hyena Love »

Thanks guys.

Not that they are so loud or particularly loud, but seeing how I have the insulation, and am going to be doing some insulation, I just figured to try to be as comprehensive as possible.

I like the weight. Its my new friend (to some extent) especially down low, under the hatches.

Not hoping for as much of a relative reduction as Capy. Thats a bunch, if I remember how db works.

Thanks again.