Paint Removal "Lettering"

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Jareb

Paint Removal "Lettering"

Post by Jareb »

Is it possible to remove the lettering on the stern without damaging a painted hull. Specifically, a hull painted with Imron or Awlgrip or do you have to sand and repaint. I've used oven cleaner to remove the lettering on gel coat without damaging the gel coat but I think this method would also remove the hull paint.
Thanks
John
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Depends on whether or not the lettering has been clear coated and if the lettering is vinyl or painted on. If painted on and/or cleared, sanding is the only way out. If vinyl, get an "eraser wheel" from an auto supply. They work wonders.

Also if un-cleared vinyl, heat removal can work in some cases.

Keep in mind, that the letters may still leave a ghost image due to fading of the un-lettered paint on the tramsom and the uneffected paint beneith the lettering.

Heat method:

1. Warm the stripe with a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the adhesive. (Be careful not to over heat the stripe or it will tear and paint could be damaged.)

2. Peel stripe slowly, pulling it off at a 90-degree angle while heating the next section.

3. Using your fingers to peel stripe off completely, leaving only the adhesive. (Do not use a scraping tool for stripe removal, as paint could be damaged.)

4. For adhesive removal, use a solvent based adhesive remover to completely clean the adhesive. A spray bottle works effectively for allowing the cleaner to soak on the adhesive. Follow with a clean terry-cloth towel.

5. Wash the vehicle thoroughly to eliminate any chemical residue.

6. Polish and wax the vehicle as necessary to a uniform gloss.

Eraser Wheel Method:

1. For older stripes or stubborn decals use an eraser wheel to remove the vinyl stripe from painted surfaces. Attach the wheel to a drill, and glide the wheel over the surface until the stripe is removed. Be careful to not overheat the paint causing any surface blemishes.

2. To remove the residual adhesive, use a solvent based adhesive remover to completely clean the adhesive. A spray bottle works effectively for allow the cleaner to soak on the adhesive. Follow with a clean terry-cloth towel.

3. Wash the vehicle thoroughly to eliminate any chemical residue.

4. Polish and wax the vehicle as necessary to a uniform gloss. Obviously the stripe on a new car will be easier to remove; however with some patience, even a stripe from a 3 or 4-year-old vehicle can be removed. On many older vehicles, a color difference could be visible. Polishing and waxing will either eliminate or greatly reduce these color differences.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

This has been on my mind as well. I'd like to remove the (fading) stripe and Bertram graphics from my B28 flybridge. I was told that this may have been somehow painted into the form during manufacture. What you're calling painted/clearcoated I suppose. Soft scrub takes it off a little, rubbing compound a little more. I was told to wet sand it off by hand w/ fine grit paper, but I'm nervous about how it will look if I go to town w/ abrasives.

I don't want to remove and paint it (the bridge enclosure). I'd like to get rid of the striping around the gunnels and fore deck as well. Might be better off to get them painted black (my eventual goal being a black and tan look rather than a blue and white look)
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Steve,

I removed the blue striping and the painted Bertram name using wet 360 and then used wet 600 and buffing compound to blend it all in. It worked fine. I replaced the painted name with a stainless one just under the bertram logo.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
scot

Post by scot »

The eraser wheels work great. Use them with a drill, not a 8000rpm end grinder. Also, don't let them stay out in the Sun for extended periods of time...days, etc. The UVs will ruin them.

As stated a heat gun works well also. Try a hair drier first. A hair drier took the name right off my last painted boat.

I was able to get the large letters off with the hair drier and the smaller state lettering on the bow sides (that was on for 10+ years) took the eraser.

Good luck
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Most old time sign painters used enamel paint that can be removed with most paint thinners. I removed many of them when I worked in a boatyard thirty years ago (God, i am old!!) I don't know what modern sign painters use, but I would try acetone.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Jareb

Post by Jareb »

Rawleigh,
I thought that the lettering might be enamel. Would acetone hurt the awlgrip or Imron painted hull if you were to use it to remove the enamel lettering? I would try a small area first but just wondering if you might know.
John
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

You could try mineral spirits first and see it it will cut it. I would not think that acetone would hurt Imron, but I don't know for sure. Capt Pat? Anyone else? Buju?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Acetone, by and large, won't affect a cured 2 part paint system. Imron or Awlgrip... Still do a test on an spot, say just above the waterline on the bow. If that's OK, try it on the lettering. Don't let it run down on your boot stripe or bottom paint...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe