deck

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

deck

Post by coolair »

Just wondering
there are alot of companies that make replacement decks, high tide, glass tech, allied,alex,cabrera, etc, whos is the best or worst?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I don't know who is the best but take a look at our Swap and Sell board....Rawleigh has one for sale....
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

High Tide, Glass Tech, & Allied Richard Bertram decks are all the same design; simpler, easier to retro fit, and about the same price. All of them come from one of two manufacters: Glass Tech or Fiber Tech, both in Miami. At one time, Richard Kidd was offering a discount to members of this site. Not sure of the current status of that offer.

The true Glass Tech decks are still being made with end grain balsa core, which in my opinion is just plain stupid. Too much potential moisture and rot problems.

Fiber Tech decks are cored with Divinycell and therefore better. Richard and, (I think), Danny at High Tide get their decks from Fiber Tech.

Alex has molds from the Cabrera decks and produces them in California. Cabrera decks are produce in Miami. Shipping would be about the same from either to Texas.

The Cabrera style are more stylish, harder to retrofit, and far more expensive. You have to not only deal with the actual deck cost, but also the engine boxes have to be changed to configure with the deck. Then there's the complex below deck joisting to add to the expense.

Alex possibly has the best craftsmanship and certainly has a faster turn around time. You can spend what seems a lifetime waiting for a deck from Cabrera.

Best bang for the buck? Right here on this site: Rawleigh has a Glasstech Deck For Sale
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
chris pague

deck

Post by chris pague »

check out item # 330341924423 on ebay kooks like a great deal?
Chris
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

While we are on the topic, does anyone know whether or not the FBC decks I am selling will also fit an Express? One of the members asked me and I cannot answer the question.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
coolair

Post by coolair »

Ya
I have emailed back and forth with alex about a few things and he seems like a really really nice knowledgeable guy. I know Rawleigh has a deck, i am not really in the market yet, but just wondering. The dect on ebay looks like an OEM wood deck.
Thanks for the input i will probably need one come winter.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Rawleigh wrote:While we are on the topic, does anyone know whether or not the FBC decks I am selling will also fit an Express? One of the members asked me and I cannot answer the question.
The answer is a qualified YES. The engine box configuration on the Express is a little different than FBC or SF, so some minor fitting changes may be needed. Nothing to deter a sale over...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

My decks are cabrera and built for FBC an SF, but fit my express with little additional work.
Nice stuff too.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
moguls2go

Re: deck

Post by moguls2go »

Does anyone know if Fiber Tech still exists? I'm trying to get pricing and availability on a deck for a FBC and found this thread. Cabrera and Glass-Tech still exist, but Capt. Patrick's posts paints a less-than-rosey picture for both of those options. Fiber Tech, on the other hand, seems like a good choice, but I can't find them online. Any ideas?
Max
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mo,

Try Fiber Tech at 3767 Nw 50th St Miami, Florida 33142 (305) 635-2818 Not sure that Miguel has a website...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Thanks Capt. Patrick- looks like that number is dead... Fiber Tech may be no longer... Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement deck?
Max
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you can build your own out of 3/4" b-26 coosa board .i have a detailed post if you do a little research. cost about 2,000 with the best( suncor 316 SS fold down hatch handles ).
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

bob lico wrote:you can build your own out of 3/4" b-26 coosa board .i have a detailed post if you do a little research. cost about 2,000 with the best( suncor 316 SS fold down hatch handles ).
Thanks Bob! Can you share the link to that post?
Max
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

do a research under my name on this site not sure how to give link on my own info.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this would be first photo make template of old deck by removing and place on top of coos and scribe.be aware there is a 1" over lap (rabbit joint) on both port and starboard piece of deck that will over lap center piece.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

notice the top part of overlap joint on left side of photo this is the starboard side.overlap cover the screw that hold down center section .i put screws every 6" so the center section don`t get pull out because the chair rest on center section fish plated with 2' x2' titanium 1/2" plate.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473