Replace or Fix Leaky Fresh Water Tank on a 1985 Bertram 30

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Scuba-Do

Replace or Fix Leaky Fresh Water Tank on a 1985 Bertram 30

Post by Scuba-Do »

Hi, I have a 1985 Bertram 30 with 61 gallon fresh water holding tank. Recently the tank has developed a leak. I cannot see the leak, however I can see water trickling into the bilge every time I fill up the tank. Over time the majority of the water in the tank is emptying into the bilge. The tank is original and is galvanized steel. The water system is pressurized.

Should I remove the tank and have it repaired or should I cut the tank out and go with a new tank. If you suggest the latter, then what type of tank should I get that would be compatible with my existing tank for my pressurized system?

Also, if you have experienced this before, how do I detach the original tank from the water pump line. There is very little room between the tank and the bulk head for the engine room...where the water pump is located. What kind of fitting is that and how do I detach it so I can remove the original tank?

Thanks 8)
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Capt. Pat provides a source for PE tanks in this thread:

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?t=4257

I had two tanks and it was simple enough to remove the leaky one use the remaining forward tank for my limited freshwater needs. Now I have some new storage area too!