Outboards again

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Major

Outboards again

Post by Major »

Im looking for some current feedback from those of you who are running outboards on your 28's. Ive read they ride higher and dryer but how do they handle? How is docking with them? Do you run 4 stroke engings and hows your fuel burn/speed?

For those of you who have added them can you tell me what kind of reenforcement you have done to the transom?

As always pictures are welcome. Lastly for the most important question. Would you do it again?

Thanks,

Major
Buju

Post by Buju »

Stop it Major... Sell the B28 and buy a outboard powered center console if you want a outboard powered boat.
The transom will take major reinforcement, and rebuilding to accomodate a bracket which would hold OB's strong enough to push the old gal.
Usually the boat will squat a heckuva lot more due to the absence of twin small blocks midship, and the addition of significant weight a few feet aft of the transom.
And it's just Goddamned ugly.

Yes, there are ways to remedy these issues (not the appearence), and there are gains like additional storage and slightly shallower draft. But you could drop two new 350's or 351's in there for less coin than OB's, not even taking into consideration the modifications needed, thus keeping her original, preserving her resale value, her bertram ride, and your sanity.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Have you guys looked at the price of outboards lately? I am floored! When you consider lifespan, it makes diesel repowering a smarter, longer lasting, better resale value, no ethanol problems deal. Walter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

04 or 05 had a 28 come in with factory installed outboards on a bracket.

Was running OMC 2 strokes and wanted Honda 4 strokes.

Fuel tanks were where the inboards would have been so weight transfer was not a problem.

Boat to me handled just fine but again it was a factory setup.

Like Walter I questioned the expense of the outboards, 40k(at that time) versus two new gas inboards 22k.

Or a pair of 4LH Yanmars with gears at 32k.
scot

Post by scot »

I'm with you fellers,

Here's the way I see it: You are either a V-twin Harley guy, or you are a crotch rocket, Ninja bike guy. Sticking a 1000cc Ninja engine in a Harley frame may work, it just feels wrong.

Figure out which guy you are, and go forth.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nice analogy Scott...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

very good scot ---excellent!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Major

Post by Major »

I see what yall are saying and i admit i do prefer the inboards on the 28. My dad was the main one wanting the outboards but on a center console. I would prefer to spend the money on the bertram instead of buying one of those. The outboards on the 28 was purely an option i wanted to consider.

While i like a center console in some instances i think the 28 bertram would be a more useful boat.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

look guys you better up the ante on outboards. very popular 350hp yamaha cost 27 large nomally installed in pairs thats alot of money for "light bulbs" after 5 years warranty is over and they are worth dogshit on resale . look at the once top of the line 250hp yamaha four strokes out of warranty -------------can`t even give away center console with a pair .trust me this is not my opinion this is reality.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Years ago, I looked at a factory 28 with OMC Seadrives ... that's a bracket really. But, I bought n inboard boat.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob-That's what I mean. It's a no-brainer. The people who are buying 2-3 engined outboard boats either are too rich to care, or are in for a surprise when their warrantee wears out. The years go by real fast and out our way the amount of hours you'd put in over that period of time would be "break-in" on any diesel and "wear-out" on any outboard. Walter
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

walter
i could not agree more