So, I have this electric panel

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JeremyD

So, I have this electric panel

Post by JeremyD »

it's vintage 1985 -

Before I reinvent the wheel I thought I'd solicit ideas from the braintrust.

What do you recommend? and no, I don't have a spare $1,000 right now.

1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Buy more fire extinguishers.

Big ones......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Jeremy,
Get rid of that mess, one battery switch is totally useless, the entire panel is showing signs of excessive heat damage(cooked Bakalite fuse holders). Reroute the hose away from the terminal strip, I bet that the back of that hose has started to melt. Do it over before you burn up the boat.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Thats got to go. 1985 might have been a good year for wine.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

No amount of white spray paint is going to make that look any better.

Whats the term "Port risk only" Thats insurance lingo for if you move it we won't cover
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
gplume

Post by gplume »

I concurr....nuke it. You may try to hit the consignement stores and find some new-used equipement. You would be surprised what you can put together for short moeny, Some guys may disagree with me, but when I went to rewire my boat, the one thing I left pretty much in tact was the OEM battery switches from Cole hersee. They are heavy duty, and in my mind superior to just about any other battery switches I have seen. If you can find them, grab them and start from there.
Giff
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I really like the Blue Seas battery switches. Very sturdy. Perko is crap in my opinion.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Thanks - yes, I suspected -

I inherited it this way - I have been doing projects on this boat since I acquired - one after the other.

leaking tanks - bad transducer - bad bilge pumps - leaking cooling hoses - replaced one alternator, hose clamps - you get the idea - when I saw the knob of the right battery switch on the floor after a run over the weekend I knew this was going to be my next project.

So - what do you recommend? What panel - what switches? I have two optima blue tops (new) - an older on board batter charger (guest). No AC or genset -

Is there a good book for this?
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Jeremy: Make sure that your charger has a setting for AGM batteries or it may fry those Optimas. good batteries by the way. I have found every product made by Blue Seas to be superior to most others. They have some nice battery switches out with combiners built into them. I just put one of their battery switches on a Mack road tractor on my farm, and the quality and thoughtful design was impressive. Ancor makes the best crimp connectors with the heat shrink already on them. I won't use anything else. Use tinned Ancor or equivelent wire. Paneltronics makes some good panels if you want to buy something ready made. They will also do a custom one for you.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Jeremy...

I replaced my complete switch panel and rewired all my heavy 12 volt stuff last year. I did a writeup for the B33 forum and it was posted for several months in the Owners Tips section there. My input was a victim of the last hacker who interrupted the forum a couple of months ago, and it is temporarily gone, but will be posted again when the moderator gets some free time.

In the meantime, send me an email so I can have your address and I will send you a file with everything that used to be posted.. I replaced everything, made a new panel, all new batteries, made new battery boxes, replaced all the heavy cables, etc, etc. Everything is new.

BTW.. If you tell me how you posted the above picture I will try to post a pic of my new panel here.

Frank "IRGuy@aol.com"
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Thanks =- PM sent
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

BTW.. If you tell me how you posted the above picture I will try to post a pic of my new panel here
Frank, See: Links and Images
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Can't make recomendations without some kind of budget amount.

Minimum would be replace the broken battery switch as being able to shut the battery off in case of a short is priority 1.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mean Mike,
Before I saw your post . . .
Great minds and gutters, huh?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

so what could I do for $500?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

500 should buy you two new battery switches and replacement breakers for those fuse holders if you price shop and do the labor. Thats about it.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

With all due respect (and I am serious about the word "respect"!) to those here who have responded with answers directed at trying to offer minimal cost upgrade suggestions for Jeremy's main 12 volt electrical panel, I offer the following..

I am not sure if it either cost effective or improves safety in a meaningful way if an electrical system such as pictured above is upgraded in a piecemeal fashion. To me it is pretty much an all or nothing situation when a major system such as this has to be replaced. The 12 volt switch/breaker or fuse panel is at the core of almost every system on a boat. Jeremy's is obviously an original system, which has had things attached to it over time, and some items appear damaged, with others probably not functioning properly. Replacing only a switch or breaker is sort of like putting a bandaid on a deep cut.. it might get you by for a while, but there are still things that need attention, which might come back and bite you on the butt at a critical time. I wouldn't want to have to worry about such an important system every time I took the boat out.. let alone deal with a failure of a critical component when underway.

When I replaced my major 12 volt battery and power distribution system last year I realized I had to start from the very beginning, and looked at the present and potential loads that had to be expected, then a schematic diagram had to be generated so connections could be shown, then properly sized components had to be selected and bought, then a physical layout had to be produced, and finally everything had to be mounted and connected.

In the power distribution system everything is interconnected.. both in the design stage and in the hardware stage. One thing flows from another.. each step of the design phase is dependant on the previous step. each phase of the physical assembly depends on the step before.

What I am trying to say is that I feel it is best not to try to insert components here and there in such a system.. this only makes sense to me if you are trying to get a boat you just bought home and can see obviously faulty components, which you replace on an emergency basis.

I understand my position is a costly one.. I did all my own design and installation myself, and I probably spent $1,500 - $1,800 on components alone, not including new batteries. But now I can go on to other things and not worry about if there are gremlins lurking in my 12 volt distribution system. There will be enough of them in other systems I need to upgrade.
Frank B
--------------
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Jeremy,

Frank has apparently volunteered to defray your electrical repair costs over 500.

Go for it.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Well thank you IR guy for the detailed explanation on what you did. I got a chance (after a vacation) to pull the panel - I wanted to see how much heat damage there was - and to my surprise - It actually did not look too bad. Obviously some corrosion on the connectors - my plan at this point is to do some clean up - replace the two guest switches - with blue sea, replace the top panel with some switch breakers - and replace the fuses I found under the panel with some thermal breakers - and obviously tidy up some of the rats nest of wires.

any other recommendations??

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Spray and pray!
Spray all the remaining connections with Corrosion X and hope for the best.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Actually - after much reading - I think I might go in this direction

http://bluesea.com/products/8689

Looks like it has a good combination of battery switches, isolation
# Designed for twin engine configurations
# Provides 24 hour circuit protection
# Provides main DC circuit protection in addition to high ampere load protection
# Protects electronics from sags and spikes caused by engine cranking
# Allows emergency cross connect between isolated battery banks
# Isolates the Engine circuit from the House circuit
# Simplifies battery switch operation
# Allows independent battery discharge
# Addition of an Automatic Charging Relay automates charging both batteries
[/url]
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Now you are talking!!! Nice! How much? You will really like the Blue Seas products!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

~ $229 for the panel (www.defender.com) - I figure another few hundred for circuit breakers to get rid of the 25 year old fuses - I'll also replace any wiring that has any degree of embrittlement.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Good deal. You will like it!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

This may be a stupid question - but is there anything special about these fuses? Other than them being old and should be replaced by an equal amperage?? Was thinking a thermal breaker.

Thanks in advance.

IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Jeremy...

I don't think these fuses are anything special.. I have looked at thousands of them in power distribution systems in factories, hospitals, and hotels all over the country. They probably aren't built to marine standards, hence the corrosion, but they did a passable job. As I told you, there were two of them in my boat when I bought it. I suspect they aren't poing to make a surveyor happy if he saw them. Your Blue Seas panel is what you want.. they make top line stuff!
Frank B
--------------
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

IRGuy wrote:Jeremy...

I don't think these fuses are anything special.. I have looked at thousands of them in power distribution systems in factories, hospitals, and hotels all over the country. They probably aren't built to marine standards, hence the corrosion, but they did a passable job. As I told you, there were two of them in my boat when I bought it. I suspect they aren't poing to make a surveyor happy if he saw them. Your Blue Seas panel is what you want.. they make top line stuff!
Thanks - Just confirming before I start laying down the cash...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Nothing special about those fuses. Standard fuses you can buy in Hardware store. I had a couple on my 1975 31. Two for the bilge pumps, two for the engines. None protecting the feed to the DC circuite breaker panel. That was just a standard home panel also.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Thanks - that's what I figured - sure looked like House Fuses

I may go with the next size up - Just so I have room for all the fuses separately in an all inclusive

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have no fuses on board ,here is the main panel off distribution center mounted under the solon bench seat . always dry and cool very accessible ,each panel has a breaker coming off it`s respective battery switch .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this is distribution center showing insolation blocks lone fuse is bilge pump panel , direct of battery bank.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

So finally got my panel - have yet to install it yet - but I really like the idea of having more convenient access.

Is there an issue with mounting this in the cabin where the stairs come down? I could recess it a little - I could even put a plexiglass cover on it if I wanted to get fancy. Thoughts?
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I'm thinking here:

IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I would think a more out of the way place would be better.. you want easy access to the breakers. If no other place is available I would definitely recess it somehow and put a plexi cover over it.. Where you show it I would be concerned about water getting to it, but more importantly I would be worried that someone would kick the panel and either turn something on or off, or break a breaker.
Frank B
--------------
randall

Post by randall »

i agree....i tied down two switches on my boat because people kept bumping them. that spot is just asking for trouble.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Thanks for the input - that's why I'm asking